sine plate

Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.

Reply to
hvacr

Generally you put a stack of spacer blocks under the upper round bar to set the angle. Spacer blocks are lower-precision gauge blocks, often with a threaded hole so they can be stacked up on a setscrew.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Reply to
machineman

From what I have seen, sine plates and bars are mainly used in low force applications such as layout and grinding.

It is possible to align the part to a given angle, bolt this onto a right angle iron, and then transfer the right angle iron with part onto a mill table.

In home shop / educational setting, I have had the best luck using a magnetic sine bar and test indicator to get the correct angle in a regular milling vise. You can do compound angles with a little math by angling the part in the mill vise and then rotating the vise. PITA.

GmcD

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee