sine plate

Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has
a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the
upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Generally you put a stack of spacer blocks under the upper round bar to set the angle. Spacer blocks are lower-precision gauge blocks, often with a threaded hole so they can be stacked up on a setscrew.
Reply to
Jon Elson
Sine plates are normally used with gage blocks or spacer blocks. They would mostly be used with a surface grinder or for very light cuts on a mill. Depending on the model, some are held down just by the weight of the plate and the arced clamps while others also have clamps on the pivots. see the url below for some more instructions.
formatting link
Reply to
From what I have seen, sine plates and bars are mainly used in low force applications such as layout and grinding.
It is possible to align the part to a given angle, bolt this onto a right angle iron, and then transfer the right angle iron with part onto a mill table.
In home shop / educational setting, I have had the best luck using a magnetic sine bar and test indicator to get the correct angle in a regular milling vise. You can do compound angles with a little math by angling the part in the mill vise and then rotating the vise. PITA.
Reply to
F. George McDuffee

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.