sintered bronze lathe bearing

WOW, your explanation make perfect sense and is what I am going to try this weekend. !!!!! Ill report back the results!!!!!!!!

thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bob in Phx

AAARRRGGGGG..... Found some time Friday to turn the new sintered bronze bearings. I rigged up a boring bar and was able to cut the ID of the bearings just perfect. A dead sharp tool and away I went. The ID was just perfect. Fit like a glove. Then it was time for the OD.... Long story short, I tried to use the power feed, it jumped and drove the tool into the bearing and it shattered the bearing!!!! There I was with 3 hours in and a crumbled three piece bearing, AAARRGGG. Moral of the story, know the machine your working on.... I had grabbed the feed lever and instead of the carriage feed, I engaged the cross slide feed. Good thing I bought more then one bearing... to bad I don't have any time today to try again!!!!

thanks for all the suggestions. They really helped...

bob in phx (who now knows that up drives the cross slide and down drives the carriage!!!)

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Hey, on the plus side you now know something new AND you know you can make the ID well.

Reply to
marc.britten

agreed,, I just wish it had not happened .....LOL

Good part was no one got hurt and I have extra bearing stock.... not a big deal!!!!

bob >> AAARRRGGGGG.....

Reply to
Bob in Phx

It's all a part of learning, Bob. Wait until you scrap a piece of material that's worth hundreds. It happens. Life goes on, hopefully with you a bit wiser.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Well the end of the story is about here....

So far, I have the end bearings in place and WOW what a difference. This baby will spin and spin with just a little twist. I can feel no side to side or up and down movement in the chuck anymore!!! The new bearings in the drive pulley are spot on perfect. The pulley no long lists to the back of the machine, even when under power!!!!!

and I learned a pot load about bearings, shafts and lathe turning sintered bronze.

all told, a great day.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

Congrats on a job well done!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

======== Thanks for the rest of the story.

I knew if I would read enough items on the internet, there would be one with a happy ending.

Good show!

Unka' George ================ When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), Anglo-American political theorist, writer. Common Sense, ch. 4 (1776).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I think for this, self lubricating bushes works best...As these work at high pressure, this kind of bearings bears the intense pressure and make it worth.

Source:

karammundi.inet