Sirens

Thinking building one it might make for a fun project--anyone done this or maybe have some pointers ???

Im thinking of probly starting out with somewhat less horsepower, of course...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

You want one? I know a guy who got one of the ones they used to blow Wednesdays at noon in Seattle, looks almost like that. It's out under a tarp next to his shop, I bet he'd jump at the chance to get rid of it. The last time we fired it up about 10 police cars showed up responding to about 200 complaints!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Where is this siren located?

Could be lots of fun Waaaaay out in the desert.

Let me know.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Hmm......

Actually Im only about 120 miles from Seattle...but out in the sticks where likely very few would be bothered........still, I doubt my wife would go for it even if it were free for the taking....do ya spose he might be willing to trade it straight across for my wife ???

Seriously though, I'm thinking something along the lines of about 2 hp would be fun to construct....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Hey, I remember those -- I used to live in Bellevue when I was a kid and when they would set those off at noon, I would stand at the fence with my dog and howl !! (I must have been about

8 or 10 at the time).

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

when i was a kid (late 60's early 70's) my grandfather had one of those old fashioned hand crank fire engine sirens. we used to have fun trying to see which one of us could crank it hardest and fastest and see who could make it howl loudest (in his garage). never had the cops come though. maybe these days they would. joe, do you mean redwood?

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I built a hand-cranked tripod mounted unit from scratch a couple of years ago. It is a 2-tone based on a Federal Series 70 as was used in the 40's and 50's. The gear box ratio is about 37:1 . It really screams if you have the arm power.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Yeah 2 tone is what I would like, looking at tone charts the minor tuning is

10-12 or 5-6 depending on the rpms you are running.

Got any photographs of the internals ?

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I would imagine that the dog looked at you strangely when you did that right?

Reply to
Lane

Check out

From his FAQ:

[snip]
Reply to
Ron Bean

The Fire Chief lives just up the road from here, real nice guy...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I might can pull off the stator and photo it and the rotor. Would that help?

The tone ratio is 9/8. I don't know the musical significance of that particular ratio, I just copied a known commercial siren. The shaft and bearings are pretty straight forward. The only novel item is an overrunning cluch that allows the rotor to coast when you stop cranking. The stator is about 6" dia. I think it would take about 3/4 hp to motorize it at say 450 rpm, but that is a guess. Two tones doubles the load on the driver.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

He just seemed to think it was part of the drill (so did I I guess ;-))

Reply to
Mike Fields

Finally! We now have an answer for Rex's annoying neighbor's dog thread.

Reply to
B.B.