SKF bearing information

I'm trying to find SKF bearing information such as the fillet radius for the housing and shafts. To date I've been pushed thru a membership process with names and passwords that seems to fail all the time. I have other bearing catalogs that are easy access. Is there a bearing cross reference that I can use to avoid SKF and their mystical catalog process?

Reply to
Stuart Fields

What site are you looking at because I can access all bearing information I've looked at so far at

. Selecting a bearing gives me a drawing and dimensions including corner radii with no need to long in.

Reply to
David Billington

David: Thanks for the response. I accessed the same site, selected rolling bearings and input the number I took right off the bearing:

6203/C3. I get a table of numbers referenced to some d, c,e, fs with no drawing to connect these numbers to the actual bearing. Further when I selec shaft tolerances, where I would expect to see the fillet radius information, I get some e7, c6 statements that I can't relate to thousandsths or any other. I've yet to find the recommended fillet radius for the 6203 bearing. Can you list the particular path that you took to get a bearing with a drawing defining the numbering system they are using? I've down loaded another bearing catalog: MRC Engineering Handbook and the numbers just jump out at me with minimal searching.
Reply to
Stuart Fields

Stuart,

I'm not sure you'll actually find the shaft dimensions but the bearing details give the min radius for the bearing races so that'll determine your shaft dims. Regarding getting to the data I just went to where I normally go which is deep groove ballbearings such as

, click on "dimensions" link and you get a list of bearings, click on the one you're looking for and you'll get a drawing with details such as OD, ID, radii etc. As regards the e7, c6 etc do a search for "limits and fits" as that info pertains to the shaft and housing diameter not the radius you're looking for, the fits control how the bearing fits its housing and the shaft it is fitted too, these details effect how the bearing in held by the shaft and housing and also the internal running clearances of the bearing.

Reply to
David Billington

What browsers are the two of you using? I run into this all the time. A site that looks crippled or empty in one browser works differently and better with some other kind of browser.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

David: I must be having a software problem. I tried your path and did not get a drawing, but there was an open space that looked like there might be a drawing allocated there. We acquired a couple of high speed, high resolution (64 bit processors) machines that were used to produce some of the special effects of Star Wars. I have had problems getting some of the Flash Players to work with the 64 bit processors. We have another couple of 32 bit computers here. I will have to find some time to try it on one of those. Thanks for the help. I don't know if I would have come to this point without your assistance.

Reply to
Stuart Fields

I'm currently using Firefox 2.0.0.12

Reply to
David Billington

A direct link to the page I get for a 6203 is

The actual drawing bit is

David Billington

Joe: I'm using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Fields

David: I tried both links and still can't find the fillet radius call outs. There are no arrows indicating the radius on the inner or outer races that have to interface with the shaft or housing. I get some funny numbers expressed as numbers like: 1,6 I have never experienced this numbering system before. My MRC Engineering handbook is much easier to negotiate. I can't imagine that it should be this hard to navigate thru their catalog. I must be doing something wrong that I can't find.

Reply to
Stuart Fields

[ ... ]

O.K. Looking at the site, you need to both have javascript turned on (I have it turned off by default, but can turn it on on a site-by-site basis), and you need to enable "popups" in general for the site as well. The usual selection of "block unwanted popups" kills what it offers.

I'm using Opera as a browser on a 64-bit UltraSPARC machine from Sun, FWIW. Whether you have that kind of control on a site-by-site basis with your browser I don't know. It appears that you're running Windows, so I can't predict what you'll get.

Flash (which works fine on the 64-bit UltraSPARC as long as they don't upgrade the version again) is not needed for this site.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Many europeans express a decimal point by using a comma. In your example above 1,6 is the same as 1.6 On the SKF site there is no arrow designating a radius, the "r" is merely near the designated edge.

Looking at

for the 6303, I would interpret the left hand drawing as relating to the bearing itself, and the right hand as relating to the housing & shaft. If that is correct, your housing & shaft should both have a max radius of 0.6mm whereas the bearing has a maXx of 1.2. This will ensure there is always a positive clearance. HTH.

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore
[ ... ]

In various parts of Europe and the UK, it is common to use a comma where we would use a period -- as the radix point (decimal point), and periods (if present) as grouping characters, so what we would write as "1,000,000.01", they would write as "1.000.000,01", so your "1,6" would be most likely 1.6 mm

Everything is in metric units, perhaps?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's not 'Europeans' it's an ISO standard, ISO being the

*International* Standards Organisation, ANSI (and Standards New Zealand) being member bodies of ISO

Yes, using commas for decimal points is loopy but the rest of the metric planet (outside the USA) in the Engineering profession have been doing it that way and have been for many, many years - The ISO standard has been in place for around 20 years although places like the UK only adopted it as a national standard in 2002.

Along with other number formatting principles inherent in the standard there should be no ambiguity, nor misreading of a drawing due to a speck of ink or a badly placed fold.

Reply to
Mike

In the UK in common usage we have *never* used the comma for the decimal point, nor have we ever used the decimal point as a thousand separator - in all respects out number formatting is the same as that used in the US - except that recently and *only* in the Engineering field we have moved to ISO formatting for numbers on drawings. (see below)

Historically mainland Europeans have routinely used commas and decimal points everywhere to the point of utter confusion, if you play around with the country settings in windows you get a basic idea of this mess!

The ISO standard for engineering drawings uses grouping to remove any ambiguity so ...

1,000,000.01 in your example above would be written as 1 000 000,01
Reply to
Mike

O.K. But I have seen it in an astronomical work from the UK back around 1965 or so.

No Windows here, so I can't do that. :-)

Hmm ... to *me* that would increase the chance for ambiguity, if it followed another number without a decimal fraction part.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I don't doubt that such an ISO standard exists. However, just because Standards NZ (for example) is a member of ISO does not mean that the ISO standard is automatically adopted for use.

Not all parts of the metric planet outside the USA use the comma as a decimal point, for example Aust & NZ. I wonder if any UK adoption is a result of EU harmonisation. Having said that. I have recent drawings from UK manufacturers that still use the full stop.

The electronics industry often uses the multiplier to avoid such problems. eg a 2.2nF capacitor is written as 2n2 The F is usually implied by the capacitor symbol. Likewise 2k2 for a 2.2kohm resistor etc.

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

Absolutely, and as far as Brits are concerned the areas BS 8888 (our implementation of the ISO) is applied to are very limited, they certainly don't cover everyday life!

Not really, unless you were involved in current engineering projects you'd use the same separators as the USA, OZ and NZ. Thinking back the first time I ever saw it used would be with Rotring ink drawing pens in the mid 1970's. They wouldn't be marked 0.5mm or 0.7mm but 0,7 and

0,5 So the Germans were certainly using that format 35 ish years ago.

But just like the screwups with metric and imperial, this new format is I fear a disaster waiting to happen, it 'fixed' a problem that maybe we once had with bad dyeline prints. In use it really is a complete pain in the arse especially if you have a mix of old and new drawings. For the Germans, the Swiss, the French, the Italians and the Spanish it will be a breeze. For everyone else...

That is sensible, but more recently surface mount devices have ended up with some of the most obscure coding on the planet, to such an extent that there are many websites to decode the markings.

Twenty, thirty or forty years ago it was easy to prototype a circuit design either with a ratsnest or a prototyping board, now it requires near perfect eyesight, hot air tools, tweezers and masses of lighting. I've a couple of kits that use some surface mount kit. I had intended doing them over the winter but it was hopeless even with a really good illuminated magnifier so I'm waiting for a bright sunny day - on the current trend we've had our summer two days this week, now its another

11 months of rain :)
Reply to
Mike