Sleeving lawnmower gearbox shaft

Older electric one; half-an-hour on the telephone to various more and more esoteric departments yeilded a pdf in my mailbox; part required would be "motor and gearbox assy".

So I plan to measure the shaft (still nicely shiny) and the plain bearing (not so nice, and much too big a hole through it), and cut and insert a cylinder made of sheet brass of the correct thickness. Anyone care to guess how long this'll last?

Reply to
_

================= CLICK ON

?PMPAGE=837&PARTPG=INLMK32or even
?PMPAGE=680&PARTPG=INLMK32 Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Not long, Brass is not a good bearing material. If you can't get an oilite bronze bush the right size, can you make one from a blank or other size? You could take it to a motor shop or such that can.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Tom Gardner" wrote: Not long, Brass is not a good bearing material. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This coincides with my experience. I have seen brass replacement bearings fail very quickly. Oilite is like a wick--you can actually light it like a candle.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The better hardware stores in my area carry a variety of oilite bushings, which is what you want. Brass won't work very long, particularly as a shim. Knock out the old bearing, take it and the shaft to the hardware store or bearing shop and pay a couple of bucks for the right stuff.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Oilite sleeve it is - have to bore the bearing for it as it has a flange and a pair of o-ring grooves on the outside.

Confusing quality; the motor shaft and the blade gear were very nicely made, helical spur gears, but the bearings were just plain aluminium or pot metal. I suspect that the previous users had ground the blade and thrown off the balance, causing wear. That will get checked before assembly.

Reply to
_

Reply to
JR North

According to _ :

[ ... ]

O.K.

Are you sure that metal isn't Babbit? A poured bearing metal alloy which was used in lathe spindles for a long time. It would look somewhat like either aluminum or pot metal.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Too bad they can't make a lawnmower deck that can out last a cheap assed B&S 3.5 HP gas engine - I currently have four engines looking for decks without holes covered by patches pop riveted on. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 00:53:19 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

Wull, if you'd stop hitting rocks which bend the B&S' tender little shafts, they wouldn't vibrate enough to break decks, Gerry. ;) DAMHIKT

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got a stainless steel deck just up the road in Waterloo , Gerry. Intersted???

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I've been using the same Snapper aluminum deck for at least a dozen years. Picked it up second hand, and it's on it's second (from me) motor right now. I'll be doing this until the wheels fall off.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

What size and price? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Maybe I should try mounting a B&S on the brown Lawn Boy deck - the original deck on that one had no front, the blade stuck out about 1

1/2" - greatest thing you ever saw for cutting lilacs and tree suckers, put a golf ball into orbit one evening! A piece of stray steel took the side wheel off one day so had to replace the deck. When the main bearings wore beyond recovery, I put it in the shed as fireworks material. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'll have to measure it tomorrow - I think 21 inch. Brand new stamping - something like $20 you pick it up here? Might be able to do a bit better.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You gotta see MY stainless deck mower to believe it. 25 incher, 20 inch bike rear wheels, 5HP belt drive, tubular frame, and self propelled. Old as dirt - the original deck rusted through so I made up the replacement in stainless last year. Made in the sixties or seventies in Schreveport La. I've got a magnesium deck 2 stroke "lawn king" with central hieght adjustment made in 1957 in Waterloo Ontario as well. Clinton engine IIRC. Haven't run that one for several years, but ran well when I put it away.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Sounds good to me, SWMBO wants a road trip that way too. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

It is a 21 inch deck. When do you want to come up? I'm generally around afternoons, but will be out of town all weekend starting Friday morning. I'm generally at the airport early afternoons Wednesdays.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

As mentioned on the phone, I'll see you after lunch tomorrow Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller