Slicing up old Bowling Balls?

And the Lawn Bowls balls are of Lignum Vitae.../mark
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

They make good engraving or soldering stands. Clamp one in the mill, and mill a flat in it big enough to hold your vise. Then set th bowling ball in a small trailer or lawn tractor tire, minus the tube and wheel, or cut off the legs from a worn out pair of pants, fill with sand, and put it into a circle, tie the ends to gether and drop the bowling ball into the now created donut.
Works pretty fair. I like the camera idea too. Thanks!
Gunner

I'm thinking a hand saw if your bandsaw is down. Once you get it small enough, table saw.
Wes S
GSG wrote:

What is the material that a bowling ball is made of/from? How does it work (after you've gotten it cut up)? Bob
My son recently used one as a great anvil while making a suit of armor. Drilled a deeper "thumb" hole and stuck a rebar in to hold it up in a stand. With a plastic dead-blow hammer it worked nicely on mild steel sheet, with no hammer marks. Kind of a poor man's English wheel :^) Smelled like fiberglass resin when we drilled it, so I guess they are made of some kind of composite.
GSG wrote:

Prolly not an oxygen lance....

Have you done the Letterman test ...............
Will it float?
That would give another slant to the deal.
Steve

If my math is correct, 11 lbs balls or lighter will float. 12 ponds or heavier will sink.
Bowling balls have standardized size.
--
RoRo

Chain saw.
Robert Roland wrote:

Unless you get some older balls. Before the advent of automatic pinsetters there were many different sizes so it might be a good idea to "measure once....." if picking up used balls at Goodwill, etc.
dennis in nca

If only five pin balls were an inch bigger cause I have a nice piece of 6" ID pipe with 1/2" wall, and second son would like to play! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:54:15 -0500, Gerald Miller

Think "sabot"
Gunner

Once you reach the limits of accuracy of the balls, do you start putting fins on the pins?
Don't lean the pipe up the side of a hill in the garden, pointed towards your neighbours. You might get invaded :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Turn (in the lathe sense) the ball into a partial cylinder and spin it as it leaves the barrel?

Especially if you happen to be Muslim.
dennis in nca

Odd that you should mention pins. Bowling pins are used in a number of shooting sports as targets and as such..we sometimes have a few around...
Buddy made a cannon out of a chunk of Sched 80, just to shoot em. Actually fly pretty good if you put the small end..the head, in the tube first. If you put em in base first..they make the most godawful moaning sound as the fly more or less in the direction you fired em, as they tumble
Bowling balls are the seige mortor ammo..bowling pins are the German 88 rounds. We shot one completly though a 68 Chevy pickup truck at about 200 yrds. We were just simply trying to hit it..and once we figured out how to aim etc..we were punching consistant 4" diameter holes through both sides of just about anything we aimed it at. And the bastards are so tough we could get a surprising number of reloads out of them
Gunner
Political Correctness

That's what I told him! Gerry :-)} London, Canada