Small electronic ignition

That's too bad about being out of work so long. Is that because of the general economic conditions where you are or have you become self employed? On purpose I mean. Anyway, are you trying to eliminate the points? Is the magneto coil still good? What kind of engine is this for? I did not read the first few messages on this subject. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I was a trucker and the economy forced me out. I was in school for a couple of years and got an associates degree in machine tool technology. A fancy way of saying machinist. Since finishing school I have moved to Florida, near Cape Kennedy. My wife is here taking care of her elderly parents. Her mother is bedridden with Alzheimer's. I am considering self employment to supplement my few web site sales (something I started while in school). Sorry for the sob story, but you asked.

The mag is still good, it's a typical Briggs & Stratton lawn mower. I replaced the points & condenser for about $10. The Atom electronic ignition conversion seems to be history, at least around here. It is bugging me because I had this info at one time.

Thanks,

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

is an article on how to do this with ratshack parts.

Hope this helps ">

Reply to
Bill Bright

Thanks, but it won't work on a lawn mower without adding a battery.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

What is the question, Ron? Atom's website was the first hit on a google search on "atom ignition". I think all these devices do is switch the coil current with a transistor rather than the points. The points actuate the transistor so ignition timing is preserved.

It should be easy enough to build such a device if you can't just order one from Atom. Email me if you'd like to pursue this.

Reply to
Don Foreman

OK, I like the idea. Can it work without a battery?

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Yes. However, I doubt if you could bulld it for much if any less than a commercial product from Atom for well under $20.

Reply to
Don Foreman