Too big or too small?

There is a company on Ebay selling plastic scale people really cheap. Only problem is that they are either 1:75 or 1:100. They apparently don't have any that are 1:87. So, my question is this... which would you rather have; people a little too big or people a little too small?

According to my math, they are either 16% too big or 15% too small.

What do you think?

dlm

--------------------------- Dan Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

On 9/6/2007 4:42 PM Dan Merkel spake thus:

I'd say depends on where they are in the scene, with respect to the viewer. Closer to the viewer, make 'em smaller; farther away, larger.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:46e091c1$0$24592$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Other way around. Put smaller people in the background to force perspective and make the scene look deeper.

Reply to
Gordon

Not everybody is the same height. It's a bell curve around the average height.

Use the smaller ones for teenagers or members of ethnic minorities that are shorter.

The larger ones are probably too big unless you want a basketball team, Ted Cassidy or James Arness.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

The bulk of the figures would be an important factor. Slim short people with small heads are possible. Bulky tall people with oversized heads are unlikely.

Buy the big ones and place them on the aisle side of the track. Buy the small ones and place them well back in your scenes. (KA forced perspective) (perhaps there's been a bomb scare at your railway station)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And you should make sure that any other objects in the scene with the 'wrong sized' people are equally wrong sized! That is any vehicles, animals, and the like should be the *same* wrong size, unless you are doing something like using a pinto pony to model a percheron or something.

Reply to
Robert Heller

"Dan Merkel" wrote

Get the smaller ones. There are plenty of short people in the world, but giants are rare. Besides, you can use the smaller people in the background to give a false impression of depth to the scene.

And speaking of that; a layout I recently saw had a scratch-built background industry built to somewhat less than HO scale, and it was populated with N scale personnel and served by N scale trucks.

It was only about four feet away from where I was standing, but I didn't notice the difference until I'd been looking at the layout for fifteen minutes, and even then I had to look twice to be sure!

Good illusion.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

On 9/6/2007 5:18 PM Gordon spake thus:

Yeah, that works better. Like having an N-scale line running in the background of an HO layout.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Honestly - correct sized people...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Get the small size people. They will fit better in things like autos and rr coaches and the size won't be apparent.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

On 9/6/2007 4:42 PM Dan Merkel spake thus:

Actually, this turns out to be a more interesting question than it first appears. My guess was that the amount you said these sizes would be off (+16% and -15%) wouldn't be that noticeable, but after calculating some sizes it seems they would be.

I looked online for figures for average human height, but couldn't find any authoritative ones (and thank you, but Wikipedia doesn't count). So I settled on 5'7" as close enough for no never mind.

Using this figure as "normal", the small figures would be 4'9" tall, while the large ones would be 6'5". It seems to me this would definitely be noticeable, at least in a scene viewed up close.

I'm curious as to what sizes these figures actually are. I wonder if the seller could be bothered to measure them for you. I'd like to know how tall they are, to see how close they come to "average" height.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Certainly a "small" point (pardon the pun), but my math says they are either

16% too big or 13% too small. *

Regardless, I agree with Frank Rosenbaum -- if you have to choose, get the

1:100 size people. They will fit better in cars, doors, sidewalks, and won't be as apparent as an oversized person would be in those situations.

____ Mark

  • A 6'-0" tall person should correctly be 0.827" tall in HO scale; the same height person in 1:100 is 0.720" in 1:100 scale. So the difference from the correct value is (0.720"-0.827")/0.827" = -13%
Reply to
Mark Mathu

Err, I'm 6'3" and muscularly built and have always considered myself "about average". I accept that almost no-one else does. :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Hmmm. I'm 6'2" and 210, which is obviously the correct size for me. But does that mean all the folks on my railroad should be a "correct sized" HO scale

54/64" in height?

In a quandary,

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

On 9/6/2007 9:16 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

Of course. Isn't that in your RR company's operating regs?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Small

With one well placed billboard stating

Smallsville Welcomes the annual Little Peoples Convention

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

"Operating regs"? We don't do much surgery around here.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

As long as there are 2.4 children per couple size doesn't matter!

Paul

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Steve the Other

"the OTHER Mike" wrote

Or, you could simply put them all on skateboards.

Reply to
P. Roehling

If you are modeling people with dwarfism or Gigantism they would work fine.

Reply to
B'ichela