Too big or too small?

message

FWIW. The vendor gives a height of 0.7 inch for these figures which corresponds to just less than 5'2". I believe this is perfectly reasonable for the female figures (sic). I think the present average height for a female in the US today is 5'4". The men are on the short side, but, hardly dwarves. Intermixing them with true HO scale folks would cause me no problem. Average height increased throughout the last century. These figures might be more at home on a period pike. As, I believe, has already been pointed out, height also varies with ethnicity and the figures might be grouped in specific neighborhoods to advantage.
I tend to agree to with Steve Caple as regards the original paint jobs: 1. The same color schemes are repeated on multiple figures. 2. Lavender is overused in male garments (IMHO). 3. All are too bright. Thank goodness for Dull Cote!
HTH. Thank you.
Jerry

Get the small size people. They will fit better in things like autos and rr coaches and the size won't be apparent.
--

Frank Rosenbaum
Please support the following train meets if you can

Actually, this turns out to be a more interesting question than it first appears. My guess was that the amount you said these sizes would be off (+16% and -15%) wouldn't be that noticeable, but after calculating some sizes it seems they would be.
I looked online for figures for average human height, but couldn't find any authoritative ones (and thank you, but Wikipedia doesn't count). So I settled on 5'7" as close enough for no never mind.
Using this figure as "normal", the small figures would be 4'9" tall, while the large ones would be 6'5". It seems to me this would definitely be noticeable, at least in a scene viewed up close.
I'm curious as to what sizes these figures actually are. I wonder if the seller could be bothered to measure them for you. I'd like to know how tall they are, to see how close they come to "average" height.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Err, I'm 6'3" and muscularly built and have always considered myself "about average". I accept that almost no-one else does. :-)
Regards, Greg.P.

Certainly a "small" point (pardon the pun), but my math says they are either 16% too big or 13% too small. *
Regardless, I agree with Frank Rosenbaum -- if you have to choose, get the 1:100 size people. They will fit better in cars, doors, sidewalks, and won't be as apparent as an oversized person would be in those situations.
____ Mark
* A 6'-0" tall person should correctly be 0.827" tall in HO scale; the same height person in 1:100 is 0.720" in 1:100 scale. So the difference from the correct value is (0.720"-0.827")/0.827" = -13%

Small
With one well placed billboard stating
Smallsville Welcomes the annual Little Peoples Convention

Or, you could simply put them all on skateboards.

That's the idea I had. As one poster pointed out above, people usually differ in height, but as adults they don't vary much in width. Young people, however, many not have grown out to their full width yet, so the small ones would be better.
Puckdropper

On 9/8/2007 2:13 AM Puckdropper spake thus:

But of course, if you're modeling Americans, they'd all have to be on the obese side ...

And if they were Bristish they'd have rotten teeth, Canadian and the'd all be drunk... Any more slurs or are you done?
Frank
On 9/8/2007 11:28 AM Gray Ghost spake thus:

No, I can think of plenty more, but the thing about what I mentioned is that it's a gross characteristic easily seen in a model, whereas bad teeth and such probably wouldn't render too well in a 1:87 or so person. (Although I believe Preiser does have drunk figures as well ...)
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Preiser is German, I believe. I bet their figures are drunk in a different way than Canadians ;-)
--
Venlig hilsen
Erik Olsen

Let me guess: the Canadian drunk figures are shown ice fishing and wrestling with bears, while your German Preiser drunk figures are madly stripping down to lederhosen and yodeling in the Alps?
David Nebenzahl skriver:

ROFL....
Klaus

Weston famously made a "town drunk", who was complete with bottle and red nose, with an extended arm that was intended to be wrapped around a handy streetlight or phone pole.
Last I heard, Campbell was still selling the Weston figures.
Pete
Puckdropper wrote:

Childrens heads grow to near full size very early on - you could transplant heads from the larger ones to smaller to create children, or legs and arms from smaller to larger for slightly older children - leave a model Rotweiler and some amputated leftovers around for interesting effects!

The San Diego Model Railroad Club layout features an HO scale dead dog next to a toxic spill at a "dry chemical" warehouse. The vignette is considered to be a bit too strong for the general public, and is placed behind the warehouse where it cannot be seen from the public viewing area.
On the other hand, John Allen once modeled a grade-crossing accident for one of his Varney ad photos, and for a while he had a lynched "diesel salesman" hanged by the neck from the bridge in Gorre.
A suitable location, if ever there was one.
Pete

At the Crescent City Club, there is a two headed cow near the toxic waste facility

And she no doubt gives Grade AA milk.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:41:49 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Only if the "udder end" is also doubled. -- Ray