Smithy Machine Tools (first time post)

This has been probably addressed before on this group.I would like to get some basic machine tools for my shop and I like the advertised capabilities
of the Smithy machines and also their pricing.Any comments on the Smithy machines and the customer service (or lack therof)? I can also buy a used Hardinge toolroom lathe with quite a bit of tooling for $1500.00,would this be preferable over a Smithy?I would still not have any milling capabilities unlike a Smithy 3 in 1 machine.I would use the machines for automotive,motorcycle and small engine repair and modifications.All input appreciated..thankyou. Best Regards, Steve Taylor
Steve Taylor wrote:

get
capabilities
Smithy
tooling
would use

Buy the Hardinge its top of the line the smithy is at the bottom. Then later buy a used mill. The 3 in one machines are hard to set up in my mind are just over seas junk. Go ahead and spend little more money for a good machine tool it will most likley have it the rest of your life.

Which model Hardinge? If its a TFB it will not be able to cut threads. If its a HLV-h, it can. It has to be either a brother in law discount or badly worn for that price. If its in good shape, the hardinge is the superior machine by several orders of magnitude.
Gunner
"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio < snipped-for-privacy@actd.net
Steve Taylor wrote:

I have a Smithy and the lathe section is adequate but I'm very disappointed with the mill -- its throat depth is limited, it flexes (although I've gotten advice here on tightening it up) and the vertical feed turns at a higher and oddball rate (.43" per turn instead of .1").
If I could do it all over again I'd buy a used real lathe out of the want adds and either a used mill or a milling attachment for the lathe. I'll probably eventually buy a real mill at any rate -- the Smithy is good enough that I can't sue for false advertising but that's about it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services