Smithy Midas experience?

I almost hate to ask this, but I wonder if anyone with experience with the Smithy "Midas" line of 3-in-1's would like to give me some pro's and
con's.
I was all fired up to order the 1220 with the long bed a couple of weeks ago, then started doing some research. For the first time in my life, I kind of wish I lived in Ohio or Michigan or Illinois or one of those other mecca's of used equipment. Wyoming is something of a desert for machine tools unless you're looking for stuff big enough to work on oilfield parts. I don't have the room, the cash, or the desire for a lathe with a 30" swing or a 20' bed.
I understand the argument that good used American or European gear is preferable to new Asian stuff, but inspection (even knowing what to inspect) and shipping are problems for me. I tried buying my favorite lathe from the local college machine-shop instructor, but he won't sell. Some sort of silly argument about having no equipment left if he sold everyone's favorites to them at the end of the semester.
Thanks for any ideas-
Dan in Wyoming
Oh BTW, the scope of what I want to do includes stuff like making fly- tying vises, small telescope parts, minor gunsmithing, motorbike accessories, jeweler's tools, and so on. No HO-scale model railroad bits and no big-block Chevy engine work, but somewhere in between those kinds of things.
Banjodan wrote:

I feel your pain. Florida is somewhat in the same boat. Pun intended. Unless you get a retiree bringing his toys down from the north everything else will be too large for the small shop.
That said, if you want the compact machine, consider the Shopmaster series model called Eldurado. Its a remanufactured machine out of Las Vegas. They just changed models and are offering a trade in program. You maybe able to aquire one of the older models. Relatively close, and the machine is easy to setup out of the crate and is reasonably well tooled.
I was able to aquire a 2003 machine localy that was completely tricked out with CNC for $4K. Your milage may vary.
Good hunting
Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.
ebay , no excuses
"Banjodan" <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote in message

Not even that I'm lazy and impatient?
Dan in Wyoming
ahh, work in a machine shop is an excercise in patience. things like leveling your machine, getting a lathe to turn without a taper, indicating a 4 jaw, or a part on the mill. Measuring and turning to tenths,,getting a mechanism to work
so start now.:^)
"Banjodan" <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote in message

"Banjodan" <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote in message

portions snip above.
I have found that the ShopSmith meet my needs I have pictures of the machine and project here; http://www.billcotton.com/homeshop.htm
--
www.billcotton.com

Sorry I should've said Shoptask as you see in the picture.

Take a look at the Shopmaster Tri-Power machine- probably the best of the bunch for 3 in1 machines- be prepared for a waiting list though. Las Vegas is close enough to justify a trip to pickup a machine and save on freight. ( may help with the domestic issues also) www.shoptask.com
"Banjodan" <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote in message

Dan,
I have a Smithy Granite 1324. With it and little machinist knowledge I've been able to learn and to make some things that actually work. See http://mulhollan.tripod.com/engines.htm . I haven't updated this in some time (the Hercules is now done and running, and I'm working on the Breight-Peters "Nanzy" verticle hit-and-miss engine) but you get the idea.
The lathe part of this machine is quite satisfactory, but the mill leaves something to be desired. Recently I bought a mill/drill from Grizzly which I am very pleased with.
If you can afford it, go with the Granite line. If it had been available when I bought mine, I would have gotten the Granite 1340 so as to get the longer bed - much better for work on rifle barrels and such.
Steve
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:16:40 -0500, Banjodan <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote:

The poor milling part of the 3 in 1 machines has always been the issue- the Smithy line is basically the same design, just in different names or styles- the Shopmaster people have gone a long way in improving the mill head design to make their machine good in both lathe and mill functions.