Smooth(er) Driveway

Some add tubes (even with tubeless tires), some use "beet juice". The juice is made from sugar beets, heavier than water, does not cause corrosion. Also sold as "Rim Guard". Google will get you a lot more info. You might want to do a rough calculation of the volume available in your tires to determine how much weight you can gain this way. I Googled pictures of the 317 and the sidewalls look a little short. Might be better off hanging a rototiller or some other implement off the back to provide some weight. Or maybe build a box to hang off the back, fill it when you need weight, empty it carry firewood, tools, etc. the rest of the time. Does your 317 have a three point hitch in the rear?

I've not used liquid in my Kubota tires since I have 4WD and most of my use is mowing. I don't want the extra weight compacting the lawn.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

It doesn't have a 3 point - yet . The box idea has merit , but will not hold enough wood to make it worthwhile . I'll be using the tractor to haul firewood rounds (or logs , maybe) out of the woods and plan on either building or buying a small trailer . Just looking , I think a couple of bags of sand on the fenders might be a good solution . Lack of horsepowers is NOT going to be a problem ! I discovered today that the front blade is power down too ... I actually lifted the front wheels off the ground and dragged a pile of dirt/gravel to do some levelling . And my driveway has never ever looked so good . I'm still developing a touch for this , but a little more practice will help . Oh I have SO many things this tractor is going to help with ! Gotta find me a plow ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

There are a few auto tires that will fit that rim.

195 60 16 is the size.

Will show you what some folks are running. I usually average around 35 thou. on a tire. Handles the roads better, especially rain/dirt. There are folks who will tell you that it can't work. I know a LOT of folks who can prove them wrong.

Reply to
Steve W.

Wonder if the molasses people use for derusting would work as well as "beet juice"?

A friend used to have an auto repair business, and acquired a 317 that ran ok but was down on compression and burned oil and had been abused heavily over a long life. He added a scrap steel plate that he had to the rear as weight, maybe 100-125 lbs (2' dia, 1" thick?), bolting it to the bottom of the frame so it stuck out the back and a rider could stand on it. Strung an old tire across the front and put a wire rope with hook on the back and used it to push or tow dead cars around the parking lot. Even pulled some motor homes, with extra guys pushing to help. I don't think it ever stalled but traction was always the limiting factor, on asphalt and hard packed gravel/dirt. Between us we totaled about 650 lbs, with him driving and me standing on the steel plate, and it was still spinning the rear tires trying to move a motor home :-).

Larry Kraus wrote:

It doesn't have a 3 point - yet . The box idea has merit , but will not hold enough wood to make it worthwhile . I'll be using the tractor to haul firewood rounds (or logs , maybe) out of the woods and plan on either building or buying a small trailer . Just looking , I think a couple of bags of sand on the fenders might be a good solution . Lack of horsepowers is NOT going to be a problem ! I discovered today that the front blade is power down too ... I actually lifted the front wheels off the ground and dragged a pile of dirt/gravel to do some levelling . And my driveway has never ever looked so good . I'm still developing a touch for this , but a little more practice will help . Oh I have SO many things this tractor is going to help with ! Gotta find me a plow ...

Reply to
Carl Ijames

A simple 99 cent bottle of window cleaner would do PK.

Reply to
mogulah