Somewhat OT: Clap On Instructions

Hi all

Picked up one of those clap on / clap off light controllers (The Clapper it calls itself) to control a difficult to reach switched plug. Used, so it came with no manual. It's a clever gadget so somebody here must have one.

Problem is it seems hypersensitive to ambient noise. Closing a door in the next room can cause it to switch states. It has an adjustment wheel on one side but it's not clear it has any effect. Anybody know any tricks for making it less sensitive. Alternatively, anybody know of another method (IR or RF remote control for example) that would control the light in the plug, from a distance?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill

They make switches that look like a regular wall switch thatwill control a remote outlet, outlet plugs over existing outlet. Loews, Hd etc

Reply to
yourname

I've never seen one of those things in the flesh, but maybe the connections to the adjustment potentiometer (or the pot itself) have broken. Pots in cheap consumer goods are really vulnerable to damage from physical abuse and the previous owner may have screwed it up.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've never had one of those Clappers, so I dunno how to make 'em less sensitive. Maybe try putting different kinds of tape over the hole where the sound pickup is?

There are numerous X-10 remote control modules available for lamps and small appliances. Some are RF modules, so you don't need direct line-of-sight or a particular plug-in that sends signals over the building's wiring.

Trouble is, there are so many varieties of X-10 combinations that it's not easy to stop considering more and more possibilities.

WB ....................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Probably also picking up sound vibrations through the structure. Maybe isolating it by use of a short cheater cord from the wall to the clapper will help.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

X-10 is definitily the way to go for this type of application. X-10 is a much more robust and versitile remote technology than the archaic "Clapper".

AFAIK, there are no X-10 modules that work by RF (unless you're referring to wireless keyfob remotes that are used to activate some X-10 devices, but that's not X-10 technology per se). X-10 base stations and control modules work by sending control signals across your home's AC electric wiring. X-10 remote modules plugged into your AC outlets "listen" for these signals and respond to them, turning on/off lamps, motors, etc. (depending on the type of module).

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

for power line carrier
for radio control
infrared control

Reply to
Don Foreman

They make remote controls that are often used for Christmas lights what would work. I used one for a "porch" light on my wife's pottery shed so she doesn't have to walk out to it in the dark, and I have one that controls a fan.

Mine aren't quite like the one in this listing but I think they're the same brand and they've been working for a couple of years without trouble.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

"There are numerous X-10 remote control modules available for lamps and small appliances. Some are RF modules, so you don't need direct line-of-sight or a particular plug-in that sends signals over the building's wiring."

I use a X10 Powerhouse Transceiver Module Model TM751 for exactly this purpose. It has a built-in RF controlled outlet and, in addition to being independently operable from a hand-held RF linked remote control called a PalmPad Remote Control Model HR12A) the TM751 also relays anything that it receives from the remote control as an X-10 message through the home wiring. This particular device and its wireless remote control can individually control up to 16 independent X-10 modules scattered throughout the house.

Sad to say the only practical use that I've used if for so far is to turn the christmas tree lights on and off, plus control about 3 lamps in our living room! Since I also have another 10 X-10 device controllers, future uses (not yet implemented) will be to allow me from my bed or easy chair to control the porch and post light, my driveway flood lights, and perhaps an attic fan, all with a hand-held RF remote control. Why I would want or need to do any of the above, except for the christmas tree, is another question! :-)

Quite honestly, I haven't yet found a great deal of value in X-10 technology, except as still another cute toy having very little practical utility. I suspect very few people have a need to remote control anything except an inaccessable outlet for which the X-10 products that I own (and received as a gift) seem like a bit of an overkill.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314