Son's BBQ Pit Project

My middle son Ben did his 2nd project with the Millermatic 180 I got him. He's going to Texas State U. so doesn't have income at this point. He wanted a bbq pit of his own, with capability to drag to wherever. He found an old 150 gal. propane tank and a boat trailer on craigslist, plus used up some of my materials store.

I had to buy a minimum amount of steel for this thing. My only help on this thing was to consult on design when he wanted, plus funding, of course.

He's cooking some chicken and ribs on there right now.

Pete Keillor

cut up tank
"
firebox attached
on trailer
1st doors (our house)
firebox damper
almost ready
Ben w pit
cooking

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Looks good and plenty of room for further accesorizing. A bit of fresh paint would be nice as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Ignoramus25939

Thanks, guys. Yeah, Pete, he's going to paint it and add an expanded metal and angle woodbox on the front of the trailer.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

One cute idea I saw recently was to buy some cheap import axes and weld the blunted cutting edge of the heads onto the lids for wooden handles.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

=A0 =A0 =A0cooking

How many Sawzall blades did it take to do the cutting?

Reply to
Denis G.

Looks good. Does it have a damper on the stack? They come in handy some days. He may also want a second temp gauge on the other end. Makes it easier to keep the internal temp even.

Only other item would be either a stainless or copper top for the sideboard. Wood has a VERY nasty habit of getting coated with raw meat juices and causing problems.

Oh and one addition to the front would be a place to attach a beach umbrella, Those can make cooking in hot sun or light rain MUCH nicer.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yep, it has a damper. Good suggestions, I'll pass them along. Thanks.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor wrote: ...

Looks like it's ready for the boiler and steam cylinders, so it'd be self-powered, and go "choo choo" ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I bet he does more than that, and builds a bigger better one within two years.

Nice job. And from available materials instead of spending a lot. You learn to weld better, IMHO, by learning to use available materials.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve W. wrote: ...

A metal top would not be very good for cutting on. Butcher blocks are wood, as are kitchen cutting boards, and don't suffer problems from it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

If he hasn't already, he should do a 'net search and find the BBQ FAQ which will provide a ton of useful information for using the smoker and some ideas for how to control smoke flow, even out temperatures, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cool. Grillin' on the right, smokin' on the left?

Oh, was it you who asked about the gas mix on my latest project? Glenn said he has a 75/25 Ar/CO2 mix and regular steel wire set up.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, after he paints this one and it sells for $2,500, he'll be building a few more.

Yeah, I think so. Learning, if nothing else, how to remove all the rust first.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lebenty seben brass gears held by Victorian scrolled frameworks for opening/closing the damper, raising the various doors, etc? Wild!

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Niiiiiice!

That means $24k per unit, I believe. He'll be rich!

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Texas, college, propane tank, welder. Where have I heard that combination before?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We have one similar to that. After an oops moment followed by fire being somewhere we didn't intend (dry grass under the BBQ) we installed a catch pan under it and an attachment bracket for a good fire extinguisher and a shovel.

Atta boys to your son, nice job!

Newb

Reply to
newb

[snip]

Wow, color me impressed! Building a BBQ is down at the end of the line as far as my projects list is concerned, but I really like the way you guys built this one. Good job getting ahold of the propane tank to start it off with!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Pete C.