Sort of OT - 2D/3D CNC die cutters? (Cricut)

So, the wife wants a "Cricut" computer controlled die cutter, for making scrapbooking stuff. Looks cool enough, basically a X-Y plotter with a knife instead of a pen. But, it doesn't seem to have a way to cut an arbitrary pattern, and (of course) you have to buy each font on a cartridge for 50 bucks each or whatever.

Anyone have a source for something like this? Let me send an arbitrary outline to a machine that'll cut it out for me? Seems like an easy enough product to find but I'm coming up with some very wild google responses.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mount a low power laser on the plotter in place of the knife Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Is it a plastic decal machine ?

Mart> So, the wife wants a "Cricut" computer controlled die cutter, for making

Martin H. Eastburn

When I was looking at them on line, links to all sorts of others came up, some seemed to have that sort of capability. The "cricut" does seem to be trying to make all their money on the cartridges.

jk

Reply to
jk