source for oddball arbor nuts?

I have a great collection of R8 horizontal arbors (for use with a Bridgeport horizontal milling setup) but 3 of my arbors are missing the nuts. I'm looking for:

1¼-7 LH 1-8 RH 3/4-10 LH

I'm sure I could get some 12L14 and turn them on the lathe and get reasonable finish on the threads, but I'd rather buy them and get the ground threads.

Anyone have a source for stuff like this?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Well, these are all standard sizes and even the left hand ones are listed in the MSC catalog under 'Finished Hex Nuts'. The unfortunate thing is the purchase quantity required; not to bad for the 1-8 RH but there's an ouch factor for the LH.

1-8 RH grade 2 plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.55, pkg qty 10 3/4-10 LH plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.67, pkg qty 20 1 1/4-7 LH plain steel: (hold on tight) Price per 100 $8.22, pkg qty 10

What the price each per package quantity is isn't stated, either is if less than package quantities are available. So, yes, off the shelf but minimum quantities could be a show stopper. How bad do you want them:)

Sorry, I don't need any either.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Catalog says its $8.22 EACH in 100 quantities, pkg qty 10

Hard to believe but that's what they claim

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I wound up buying stock hardware nuts locally. They may need to be trued up but I don't have a toolpost grinder.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You're reading the catalog wrong. 1/2 way down the chart it changes from "Per 100" to "Price ea"!

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Grant

They will probably be fine unless cheapey imports. I live in a fairly industrialized area and would have been able to walk out of someplace with the 1-8 RH most likely, but I'll bet the left hands would have required ordering and a return trip, you have good local sources. Just for grins, if you don't mind, what did the 1-1/4 7 LH one set you back?

As an aside I can remember trips with my dad to the last genuine hardware store in our area. They had a two story high wall of shelves with sliding ladders and little old guys that would climb up and find what you were after. If they didn't have it they'd send you over to their wholesale warehouse over on the rough side of town. Going there was cool because you got to ignore the 'wholesale only' and 'commercial accounts only' signs, dealing with the clerks across the counter. Pretty neat for a 10 yr old:) Both places had the 'real' charge accounts where you'd just sign the ticket and they'd send a bill at the end of the month.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I thought I needed a 1" LH nut so stopped at Facca Fasteners here. I opted for the fine (14) thread and two minutes latter I was $8.00 poorer. Now I have done some re design and have a nice paperweight. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller