Source of compresed air

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:

1) It has to be cheap, 2) It has to take up little or no space, 3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools (who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

The long term costs will mount, but I got along for years buying aerosol "duster" cans. I bet you could get them cheap off of eBay, and a tiny can goes a long way. Do a search on "duster can", and you'll get lots of options. I'd stick with at least 10 oz cans (preferably larger).

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

We were discussing using a spare tire for an airbrush air supply here a week or so ago, and I mentioned a little adaptor made for Badger airbrushes -- which I have. It works very well and it has a needle adjustment for flow rate, but it doesn't allow enough flow to blow chips, IMO.

I use a cheap Sears oilless/tankless compressor for what you're looking for. It's handy for inflating car tires, too, and I can even spray many paints with it. It won't drive an air tool, though.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Check out the small cheap chinese home-workshop compressors. There are some quite small units for blow off & airbrushing work - about the size of 3 stacked shoeboxes. You'd likely get something for $60.

Reply to
Den

A big spare tire and the hose that comes with a Pontiac TransSport with air assist shocks (to blow up tires with the suspension compressor) would work fine. Blow the tire up to 50PSI at the service station every couple of days, or get the kid busy with the foot pump.

I've even USED the foot pump to blow chips on occaision.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

You can use your vacuum cleaner for small chips. It will work well, better than a compressor. Blowing out chips with a compressor has too many downsides.

They sell 1/3 HP compressors the size of a milk jug. See harborfreight.com.

I personally will soon offer a compressor for sale, a duplex Quincy compressor, 240 gallon tank. capable of 100 CFM if you upgrade the motors to 15 HP each. It needs a little TLC, however.

Ignoramus1025

Honestly, by the time you come up with the odds and ands, buy the fittings to put them together, air hose, etc. you'll be close to, or over the cost of a complete little compressor complete with accessories.

Try this:

Husky Husky 1.5 Gallon Air Scout Compressor

Model 41214

$99.99

Portable compressor perfect for use around the house. Comes with an thirteen piece accessory kit.

1.5 Gallon Tank 135 Max PSI Telescopic extension handle Convenient storage behind front door Compressor uses : N\A MFG Brand Name : Husky MFG Model # : 41214 MFG Part # : 41214
Reply to
Pete C.

I have an old tire pump which I have fitted with an inflator needle (like you blow up a football with) which I use exclusively for blowing chips out of small holes I've tapped. Works great.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Get some cans of air used for computer cleaning.

1) It has to be cheap, 2) It has to take up little or no space, 3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools (who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I have no idea who Summit tools is, but for sure they have no idea of what they speak - there are kits made to adapt a spare tire as you say, and there are kits made to use an old freon (or propane) cylinder. just get a can, fill with air and add air hose. what could be simpler?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Don Foreman

Michael, I personally hate mickey mouse solutions. They are never economical. It is however, a certain way to eventually fill your available space with junk. Make the plunge, do it right the first time and save tons of money over the long term. The Brits say "Penny wise and Pound foolish." Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Michael, Cheap 12 Volt air compressor, $7.99

the hose, insert tank made of PVC tubing, with an out going valve. Charge the tank. Put blow nozzle in end of hose (mine came with two), open valve.

Cheap, yes. Effective maybe, depends on your needs.

Dave J

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

If all you want is to blow out chips, how about a fireplace bellows. They work pretty well as I remember. they are not expensive either.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Your standard blowgun uses 3 SCFM of air:

This'll give you minimal, anemic performance at 2.6 SCFM:
lots of time for repressurizing. But it's only U$90.00

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Michael

An oxygen regulator with a Nitrogen stem, a hose and gun from Home Depot and a tank of dry water pumped nitrogen. Mount the tank carefully so it will not fall over. Maybe $50.00 total. The nitrogen is usually a rental item. Perhaps 20 to change it once a year.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

So far..Bob has come up with the best idea. Though CO2 in the 25lb bottle (soda fountain sized) may be a better deal. Its liquid in the bottle, so it lasts a shit load of time, and a refill is $12.

A simple regulator. Wont ice up unless you lay on the air gun for a minute or so.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I never use compressed air around my machines ,it will propel a chip at

100 miles per hour ,if it ricochettes and you get it the eye you will be in trouble. Also it will drive metal dust under the ways of a lathe or mill and cause premature wear to the slides.

Years ago I worked with a guy who used to dust himself off with compressed air .He ended up dropping dead from an air embolism in his blood stream ,from air injected through a small cut on his arm.

I use a wet/dry shop vac , the hose does get a build up of oil inside , but I also do wood work and use it for saw dust as well. The saw dust cleans the oil from the hose after a while ,or just disconnect and take it out side and flog it with a wooden dowel,the oily saw dust just falls out

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

You can get a portable air tank for around twenty bucks at many auto parts or hardware stores; I got mine at Sears. The inlet has the same Schrader valve as is used on tires, which means you can refill the tank any place you can get air for your tires. Air hoses, fittings, and tools are available at all of the major home improvement stores, nearly all hardware stores, and some auto parts places.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use a rubber squeeze bulb. Works great. Cheap enough? $1.99

your own with a turkey baster.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson