Speaking of light bulbs

?Might be time to stock up on bulbs, CFLs could be outlawed because they
have a mercury problem. Incandescent bulbs will be phased out in the USA by
2014.
Not to fret there is a solution.
Home Depot later this year plans to carry a Philips LED bulb designed as a replacement for the common 60-watt incandescent.
The bulb, now called the 12-watt EnduraLED, will be available by the beginning of December and will cost between $40 and $50, representatives from Philips and Home Depot said today.
Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20018915-54.html#ixzz123MPWjEz
Best Regards Tom.

So let's see, for 600 bucks I can replace all the 60-watt bulbs in my house with those, or I can get 1,621 standard 60 watt bulbs that will probably last me for the rest of my life.
Such a deal. For the damned light bulb manufacturers.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

I can get 2400 Sylvania for $600. I buy a four pack or two whenever I remember. I have enough 25W halogen for my gate posts to last ten years or more. I got them 2/$1 so I bought all 15 cards when I saw them a couple years ago.

enough left over to pay them.

I just get the incandescent repair kits.
Buerste wrote:

What do you call the 2400 lightbulbs? ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
I bought a 15 bulbs $10ea - last forever bulbs - for about $1 ea thanks to the local power company. That was about a year ago. All the bulbs have burned out by now except one in the garage door opener. So what else is new?
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:29:13 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Mikie wrote:

Are you surprised? If you want long lamp life you have to trade for low efficiency.
enough left over to pay them.

I have NEVER gotten touted lifetime out of one of those CFLs. Usually last a year. I get 18 months out of an incandescent. Last CFL started glowing red-hot at one of the tube leads and started the plastic base smoking. Might have had a fire if I'd had it on a timer and wasn't around. Stunk up the place for a couple of days
Phillips is smoking something. I've gotten Edison base LED lamps from Wal-Mart for $5, Lights-of-America or some brand like that. They're decorative bulbs, but just what I needed for the floor lamp. Have a clear envelope, used the air eraser on them and they work a whole lot better. Take the place of 40 watt, draw like 2 watts. Lifetime is waaay out there, have had them in constant daily use for a year with no problems.
Stan
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

How are you using them? You aren't supposed to use them base up, since it destroys the electrolytic capacitors.

What else do you expect from chinese junk?

I have some I've used in floor lamps for several years. 11W 'Sunbeam' brand from Dollar Tree stores.
enough left over to pay them.

Odd. My porch light that used up a 40 watt incandescent in 2-3 months had a 13 watt CFL last 23 months base up.
David

Have a heavy door that gets slammed a lot? Filaments don't like vibration. Rough duty bulbs can help with that.
Used to be they didn't recommend CFLs for enclosed fixtures, that's been changed for some makes. And the lifetime I've gotten is nowhere near the 5-7 YEARS they tout on the packages. The only way I can see getting that life is if they're stuck in a closet in the attic where nobody will ever turn it on. Since they base the purported energy savings on that lifetime, they're duds from the economic standpoint.
Stan
On 10/12/2010 10:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:
$10ea - last forever bulbs - for about $1 ea thanks

Nope, no heavy door or other cause of vibration.

Too bad. I just changed the back porch CFL, only lasted 21 months compared to 23 months on the front porch. Since I didn't get 5-7 years, I might as go back to 2-3 month incandescents.
David
"David R. Birch" wrote:

So, you're doing statistical comparisons with a sample of one?
enough left over to pay them.

Sample of two lamps, I just changed the back porch light CFL after 21 months. And several CFLs in each, with similar longevity, after many regular bulbs changed every 2-3 months.
I went from being irritated at how often I had to replace the old bulbs to marveling at how long the CFLs lasted.
David

I went from marveling at how nicely my motion sensor worked to cursing the CFLs as pieces of crap as they flashed on and off.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

That figures, since most motion sensors are marked "For Incandescent lamps only" or with similar warnings. Of course, you don't give a damn about facts.
enough left over to pay them.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:04:20 -0500, "David R. Birch"

YOU need to check your ground circuit and voltage to that fixture, David.

<g>
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 10/19/2010 8:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That may be, but I try not to mess with the wiring, as much of it is 100 years old. I'm OK with 21-23 months on a CFL.
David
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:59:23 -0500, "David R. Birch"

But what if the circuit has a problem and you ignore it? Fire can be a wee bit worse problem than short bulb life. <shrug>
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:04:20 -0500, "David R. Birch"

I'd be putting a rough service bulb in and change it every 3 to 5 years.(at most)