Speed and Feed question

I've got a project that requires the slotting of 304 SS tubing. The wall thickness is.049", the width of the slot is .072", the depth of the slot is .310" and I need a slot on both ends of the tube to be in the same plane. We've done the prototyping and first piece parts using a slotting saw and a Bridgeport(with a saw arbor and appropriate saw blade) making the first slot and then flipping the piece end for end and then making the second slot. I now need to design a machine to make both slots at one time. I have most of the design work done and I'm just trying to work out the speed (SFM) for the blades. I plan on using a 72 tooth,

3"diameter blade with a 1" arbor. Any body got any suggestions?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma

50 FPM is the norm for cutting T304 with HSS. You may be able to push that some in your case, where each tooth will only be cutting a small percentage of a rev. 72 tooth (about 1/8" tooth-tooth on a 3" blade) sounds way too coarse for .049 material. If you're having trouble finding a finer pitch, these folks can help...

They reground a half dozen saws to a special thickness for me for only a couple dollars apiece more than a stock blade from MSC. They may also be able to give speed/feed recommendations.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

look at this:

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ned and Karl Thanks for your replies. I will call both places in the AM. Before I posted, I was thinking the 200 SFM would prolly be a good starting point and according to RobbJack I was right on the button. Now all I have to do is find a motor the runs at 257 RPM and all will be right with the world . Thanks for your help.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma