Speed Rack max load

I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen. About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you reinforce?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Good question. I have 2 275-lb water tanks on a pallet rack with 10-ft beams. They are not yet filled, but I have no doubt they will take the load. Am I wrong?

BTW, this is for a rainwater collection system for my waterless shop. Work in progress.

Reply to
RBnDFW

275 lb? i

Reply to
Ignoramus23667

Sorry, gallons. I was thinking poundage. These are your basic liquid storage totes that are being surplussed all over.

Reply to
RBnDFW

They should have a load rating stamped on them. Most of the ones I have seen do.

You have 4,150 lbs. in the water alone. NOT something you want coming down.

I would probably drop the company a note or call them and see what they say.

Steve W.

Well those work out to about 4,600 pounds of water and another 180 pounds of tank weight if they are the common steel cage style.

Reply to
Steve W.

No ratings on that site, but I found this:

If that is representative, and I'm reading this right, then 4000 lbs should be well within the load rating for decent pallet racking

Reply to
RBnDFW

Typically manufacturers weight capacities are similar. We are a distributor and I can only tell you that brand new wireway husky beams are rated as follows per pair;

5"x120" is 4,412 lbs per pair. If the face height is higher the weight cap. increases smaller it decreases. If you are in need of any more information or new items you can visit us at
Tyler Cook

I don't know the brand of mine, but the beams are 10-ft. They look fairly new. I would think they are more like 6" high. They are stepped on the inside.

So, with both 275-lb tanks full of water, plus a few more things on that section, I could well be right at the load limit. hmm

Reply to
RBnDFW