Spindle oil leaking onto collets in Delta Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill

Does this mean I have some tapered roller bearings worth more than the cost of the mill?

Or could I just replace an oil seal?

TIA Clark

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Bridgeports, for instance, do not have any oil seal. The spindle of the standard manual Bridgeport just has a close-fitting ring that preloads the bearing outer races. To make sure crud doesn't work its way in, it is a total loss oil system. Oil drips down from a wick above, and when the oil reaches a certain level, it starts to drip out.

I think many machines with zero-clearance bearings use a similar scheme.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson