spindle temp

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA20E55E142A65lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Um... revising that... they are "prelubricated bearings", as-supplied, and listed as 'permanently' lubed. But Vactra #2 flies around in that zone all the time, so I figure they probably end up getting washed.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not on that particular machine.

Figure out what bearings it takes, source them from ebay, and always keep a spare set on hand.

Use premium grease and don't overfill. Don't hammer on them, but especially don't hammer on the outer race when fitting onto a shaft, or on the inner race when fitting into a bore.

Why exactly do you thinkl that they need be replaced?

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I think that oil only luricates the quill/housing sliding interface on those and that the bearings are "lifetime lubed" but I could be mistaken.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Pretty sure you can upgrade those by reducing the spacer lengths and adding more bearings to the stack (quad instead of duplex set)....something to look into, perhaps...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I recall there being a toilet seat up there, then again once you've seen a few dozen knee mills they kinda all start looking about the same.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The price was certainly right ($20) and Precise still supports it. I need to get a couple collets and collet nut, but otherwise it should make a great aux spindle on the CNC mill once I make a mount for it. The mill spindle only goes to 4,500 RPM so a 45,000 RPM aux will be great for work with tiny cutters.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wow, I thought I got a deal on mine! The collets were about $80 each, I think, when I called.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I ran across another company that seems to do all specialty collets that has them for about $40.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete - do you remember the name of the company that deals with specialty collets?

Hul

Reply to
dbr