"springy" metal

"The Kid" took a 2500 part job for my CHNC. We're one short on tooling spots in the turret.

So, I'm designing a custom bar puller finger thing that will bolt on the cutoff tool holder. (You always pull right after cutoff - saves an index)

The metal needs to spring so it slides on the bar and holds it. Not too rigid or it will just push the bar in the tight collet. Not too flexible or it won't hold after you release the collet.

I realize this is mostly a design issue with how thick and long the fingers should be. We'll learn here by trial and error.

What would be a good material choice?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don't design it to rely on springy material for the fingers. Use non springy material for the fingers and use a normal compression spring in a threaded hole backed by a nylon insert setscrew so you can adjust the tension as needed, and change springs as needed.

Reply to
Pete C.