Starrett DigiChek Height Gage

I won a used 12" Starrett #258 Digi-Chek on ebay for $200. I've never
used on of these, but it looks like it's for doing comparative
measurements with an indicator. It has what appears to be a stack of
11 gauge blocks fastened to a carrier on a ball slide. The carrier
moves up and down with a large diameter micrometer. Can I pull the
stack apart to insert a longer gauge block, ie one that sticks out to
the front? I'd like to use the 258 with my surface plate to calibrate
a dial bore gauge. Starrett shows it being used in this manner on
their website, but I don't really want to spend $150 for the special
gauge block they show being used.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
You got a great deal if it is in good shape. I would not take it apart. The way to do this is to take a standard 9mm wide rectangular gage block of some even thickness and wring it onto one of the steps so it protrudes.
Reply to
As the steps only protrude ~1/4" or so that did not occur to me. Seemed like a pretty small area to wring a gage block to, but I'll give it a try.
Reply to

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.