Question about Mitituyo 12" Height MAster

I have this tool that I like to sell, but I can't figure out how the darn square blocks move. It has that turn dial with handle for it, but I can turn and turn and turn, nothing happens. This instrument looks great, and nothing is broken or anything visible. The only thing it has missing is the top screw that holds down the dial cap or whatever they call it. I found a screw with the same thread, and tightened it just a little, but still nothing moves when I turn it. Any help is appreciated. I can't find any help on line anywhere......BTW I'm selling or trading it for 175.- just in case someone is interested. I'm in the Sacramento area

Reply to
PeterM

It has that turn dial with handle for it, but I can turn

Peter

Perhaps the knob needs to be pushed in to engage with whatever. Or maybe there is a gear or the like that is broken.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Thanks Bob....I tried to push and pull, gently and a little more, and I can't feel anything. There are three screws on top, I even took them out, but nothing happened. I appreciate your help Bob, maybe someone else can add to my question. Of course I'm a novice on all that stuff, this thing looks expensive, and I had to tear the calibration sticker off, just to look under the cap. The calibration expired 2 years ago anyway. It has the footing, and under it is a screw as well, I used my gun screwdriver set, so it will not scratch the screw, it did not give at all.....and I will not use a bigger hammer :-) to find out......Merry Christmas to you and all in this great newsgroup........Peter

Reply to
PeterM

Is this one of the devices with a stack of gauge blocks 0.500" high alternating in and out with a *big* micrometer head at the top? (Perhaps you could post an image of it to the dropbox (see

and read the 'how to use the dropbox" instructions -- then once you have the image posted there, you post here the name of the image (and the URL of the dropbox for those who forget) and let us look at it.

If it is what I think it is -- the whole stack of gauge blocks moves up and down around a large diameter shaft under control of a large micrometer -- something like a 4" diameter thimble, and calibrated

*directly* in units of 0.0001" (or equivalent resolution in metric units, with metric gauge blocks instead of the 0.500" imperial ones.

Anyway -- what you have suggested later sounds like a very quick way to destroy a precision instrument.

The micrometer thimble (what I think you are calling "the dial cap" normally fits to the threaded spindle via a taper and has to be held down firmly to that taper by a threaded knob so it rotates the shaft when the thimble is rotated.

So -- *please* find out more about it before taking a hammer to it. You may need a penetrating oil to free up gummed lubricant on the sliding bearings on the column. Also -- the gauge blocks may have rusted surfaces, in which case they probably have little accuracy left, and the major value of what you have is the big micrometer head.

Note that a replacement stack of the gauge blocks can cost well over $1000.00.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

OK, lets see, new they run about 3K, used on EBay about 300, and you want to take it apart. good luck.

EBay Mitutoyo 515 312 12" height master gage tool tools

US $308.88

gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Thanks for all the help, and also the emails from others that knock my stupidity. I know about destroying this instrument, I was very careful not to do that. I still like to know how I make any part of it move though. I think it is the part that is missing on the top, the screw and the fat washer, as noticed on one of the pictures. Thanks BTW for the address to get to the explanation of some of my questions. I think I will call or email a place that sells these things. Happy Holidays to all of you........Peter

Reply to
PeterM