steam/air whistle

Does anyone else remember the "exhaust chime" whistles they used to sell?

You spliced a diverter valve with the whistle on it into the vehicle's exhaust pipe. When you pulled on a cable run through a hole in the floorpan the exhaust pressure blew a G-d awful loud "train whistle" sound.

Thanks for the memories...

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Plumbing supply. The flex pipe with the ripples makes a good elk call. Blow through it and watch the clerks glare.

Put that on a big air compressor, and you will probably have every dog howling for miles.

Reply to
Offbreed

Ok, now I just plain have to have one. Any ideas where can I get one of these things? No really, I want one!

~Brian

Reply to
<not

On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:26:20 -0400, Jeff Wisnia brought forth from the murky depths:

I had one of the Hollywood Wolf Whistles on my '57 Chebby. It was straight from J.C. Whitney and ran to the intake manifold. The third time I used it, a cop was sitting a block away and immediately pulled me over. He made me remove the "siren" with a fix-it ticket, which I had to get signed off by a cop at the courthouse. (I always hated that pig.)

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had a 52 caddy years ago. I had just rebuilt the engine on a shoestring and the exhaust consisted a couple lengths of flex pipe with a couple $7 glass pack mufflers on the ends.

The glass packs had a vaned disk stick in the end to create some back pressure.

They worked ok, but when you opened the secondaries on that big old Carter, The pressure was too much and they would warble.

Everyone you passed would just stare like they had just been passed by a flying saucer.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

You got my curiousity up there. A bit of Googling shows there's a gazillion places still selling those $1.99 prank "exhaust whistles" you jam in the end of the mark's tailpipe, but that's not them.

The fourth paragraph on this page mentions "real" one:

Maybe the author of that page can tell you where he got or how he made his.

Here's another reference, with a manufacturer's name no less:

And one with a photo:

Almost "enough already", but if you're willing to spend the bux, you

*can* buy one here, and the adaptors to mount it:

Good Luck, and don't get cought impersonating an emergency vehicle, IIRC they're still used on them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia