Steel or Cast Iron?

Hi All,

I'd like to get the group's thoughts on a slightly off-topic question.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my small tractor. I have installed a new engine that came with a very nice muffler. The muffler needs to rotate around a bit, to clear the front loader gear.

I have cut off the muffler to cylinder head flange, with the idea of rotating it and having it welded at the muffler shop.

The original flange is the simple two bolt "oval" style common on small engines and it is made out of cast iron. I think that making a new flange that is thicker, hence sturdier, and nicer looking would be just the ticket.

Question: Can I use mild steel for the new flange? Will it rust out quickly or cause other problems?

Thanks for your time,

Steven Harris Everson, WA

Reply to
Steven

I would use steel. Cast iron is cheaper for shapes if you are talking quantity (10,000?). That's why the original was cast.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I was with you right up to: "and nicer looking". Anything that works well has it's own beauty.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It will work just fine. I made a header for one of my Cub Cadets out of a Suzuki four stroke bike exhaust, and made my flange. Made the super-tight bend by cutting the pipe every 1/8", bending, then tigging it up as I went. Ground it smooth.It came out pretty nice, and is a whole lot quieter.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Thanks guys!

I'll just stop this milling around and forge ahead...

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Reply to
larry g

Reply to
Roy J

Hmmmm. Why?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to
Roy J

In some cases the weld bead will interfere with the bolts on an external flange weld.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Roy,

I'm going to have the muffler shop apply the weld on the muffler side, as that is what they prefer. Should I also weld up the engine side too?

What paint/coating should I follow up with, if any?

-=- Steven Harris

Reply to
Steven

I once replaced a Y-pipe on a Ford Thunderbird. I painted the new one with hi-temp paint like you'd use on a barbecue. Seven years later it hadn't rusted. Many people told me it couldn't be done. YMMV.

Grant

Steven wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin