Strange drill bit

(37kB)
(43kB)

I found this bit at the dump. It has a tapered shank & is marked "star

- hammer - twist". It has a chisel point, not a cutting lip, so it clearly does impact cutting & hence (?) is for masonry. But it is not carbide tipped! It has some rust, so it can't be solid carbide, can it?

So, I guess the question is: is there some steel alloy that is used for masonry impact drilling?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt