Strange fish-scale plastic needed

Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales, all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Reply to
Buerste

Sounds like an angled - bristle brush to me.

Who do we know that could make a brush, Tawm?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Look at who makes clothes brushes for removing "pilling". I think some of these if not all are uni-directional. The pads look to be plastic & cloth like glued to a plastic handle.

Reply to
K Ludger

My mom's cross-country skis had sealskin strips for going up hill.

Might work.

Reply to
_

No-wax X-C skis have surfaces somewhat like this, but the scales are solid like a ratchet.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

This sounds a little like the gadgets made for removing lint from clothes. They have little loops, like nylon monofilament line, and they all lie in one direction.

When you push this "brush" in one direction, it digs into fabric a bit and picks up lint. When you push it in the other direction, it just slides over.

You can find them in your supermarket or thread shop, for around $3 each. The material may be something that's commercially available in quantities.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean the streets on the way.

Reply to
Buerste

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

-- Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which can only be acquired by occasional retirement. -- Johann Georg von Zimmermann

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That material is common on the bottom of cross country skis. Perhaps that will help you ?

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

(...)

Go easy on my sistah, Jaques.

--Winnie

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:35:17 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

You and Tawm are a matched pair? Whoda thunk it? I'll be gentle.

-- Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which can only be acquired by occasional retirement. -- Johann Georg von Zimmermann

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ewww! I don't swing that way, buster.

:)