Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

The problem is, there are several different "aircraft grade" aluminums

- of which 6061 T6 is one. All Zenith aircraft are built almost exclusively of 6061 T6

6061 T6 is les likely to crack when bending than a 7000 series in T6. T6 is a hardness spec (solution heat treated and aged IIRC) and is harder than T3 or T0 (normalized) ** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I would concur with your understanding. And it is WELDABLE as well.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Get 6061T6 bar and drill and bore to fit your shaft. You do NOT want

7000 series for your application - it will likely crack. Machine 6061 at the fastest speed you can, lubricating with kerosene or wd40 or even windex - to keep the tool cool and prevent the aluminum from sticking to the cutting tool. ** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Yep

5052-O is most often used for aircraft fuel tanks since it is easily formed and weldable.

But I wouldn't try to design a wing with it :)

Reply to
cavelamb himself

The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with as few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but has no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called the office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a rosebud.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Outta work fine, but OA is hot enough to melt the metal rather suddenly. Amd teh thicker the metal, the more of a problem that seems to be.

I'm a coward and use propane. It's a lot safer.

Also, burning soot off of the surface is traditional, but a magic marker works just as well - and is a lot easier to apply :)

How about that, Metalworking advice from a programmer! It is a really strange world these days, huh?

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I have been doing fine with the magic marker on the 3003 body parts i am forming for my bike. They really are magic! I used to use them to mask solder when building radiators for antique cars. Solder flowed right up to the line.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Up yours, kink. If you have nothing of worth to offer, why don't you try shutting your mouth?

Harold and Susan Vordos

It will bend across the grain, but likes to crack with the grain.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

MINIMUM 1.5 times the thickness of the metal for bend radius - even annealed (or normalized) is a good rule of thumb with 6061. about double that, at least, for 7000 series.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Ha, you beat me to the oxygen free part.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Damn! I knew I missed at least one, though 'oxygen free' is a completely valid descriptor so it's almost illegal in this context.

How about 'depleted oxygen' audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet aluminum.

I require two 'attaboys' because the last three words mean the same thing.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Aluminum? How tacky! What he needs is mock faux erstatz Krell metal.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Now you're talking!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Conclusion: the truth is worth nothing to you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Another conclusion.

You wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and hit you in the ass.

This may come as a surprise to you, dick kink, but I have NEVER met anyone that knows everything----but more than a few that think they do. You are one of the latter. Piss off.

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Surprise from you? No. Your bitterness and anger is unoriginal and repetitive. I hope you can find peace and forgiveness in whatever time you have left.

Save the snake venom for your real enemies.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No comment. I don't intend to waste any more of my time on such a useless individual.

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Don't despair. You are quite useful.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Sounds like a good general purpose aluminum for making stuff. I suppose 6063 isn't much different. At McMaster, 6063 comes in a few additional desirable forms for a non-machinist.

For what it's worth.

This is what I ordered:

... seamless aluminum tube 6061, 5/8" OD, .495" ID ... seamless aluminum tube 3003-H14, 5/8" OD, .495" ID

The outer diameter of the motor gear (see my other posts) that the aluminum tube will be pressed around/over/onto measures .494 inches. The gear has an odd number of spokes (don't know the terminology) so that diameter is slightly smaller than the diameter of a perfect circle around the gear, to be matched with the inner diameter of the aluminum tube. It should be a very close fit IMO. I bought two different types of aluminum tube just to see if one will fit better than the other.

... steel ball bearings for 5/8" shaft ... glass-filled PTFE sheet ... PTFE filled Delrin strip ... polyethylene (HDPE) sheet

Reply to
John Doe