Larry Jaques's color pick

Larry,

I painted the test stand per your appropriate color scheme, with the exception that I did the base in a charcoal pinhole texture.

The lighting belies the actual color. The blue part is a _DEEP_ cobalt blue when viewed with eyes instead of an LCD pickup.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:18:37 -0500, the infamous "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" scrawled the following:

Gawdjus, LLoyd. Just gawdjus. The black trunk paint on the base works, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wow Larry, very nice!

You too, Lloyd. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I wonder what the stand is supposed to test, but the paint job does look nice.

My main reason for replying, though, is: what is the "charcoal pinhole texture"? I like the effect, but haven't heard of that before.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

pinhole

Larry called it "trunk paint", but it isn't.

That slab of aluminum was a drop of unknown alloy. Whatever it was, it must've had a good bit of silicon in it, and I didn't have any proper primer. When I went to paint it (with hammertone black), I must've stripped and re-painted it about five times, trying to eliminate the fish-eyes.

Well... I didn't have any fish-eye medicine, and it's kind of hard to add to a spray can, anyway. So I took the bad case, and deliberately made it worse.

I lay a sheet of 600-grit silicon carbide paper on the surface, and "pounced" it with a rubber mallet -- all over twice.

Then I brushed the surface lightly with a foxtail, and painted as before. Now, instead of five or six fish-eyes, I got thousands of tiny ones -- "pinholes". It looked good, so I left it that way.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Joe fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh... it's a stand to measure and record the thrust diagram for small rocket motors and pyrotechnic gerbs (fountains).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

is that what a gerb is?

I always thought it was a gerbil strapped to a bottle rocket.

Whew!

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:27:17 -0500, the infamous "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" scrawled the following:

I thought it might be the light gray undercoat with flecks of multi- colored paints dusted over it that was popular in automobile trunks for eons.

or
I like it about as much (GAG!) as the gray epoxy with glitter they use on garage floors.

Your darker gray is much more attractive, believe me.

Isn't that FUN?

That's a very unusual technique, Lloyd.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Anyone remember "roxatone" from the '50's? My employer rented overflow space for me in a place that had been spray painted with only the window glass and light bulbs masked off. I still shudder at the thought! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

If Lloyod will make us a great big bottle rocket will you strap hawkie or cliffie to it?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I would be so honored to do so.

The question though is..should it have a big bursting charge, or should we let them do the 300lb watermelon from a High Place routine?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Why, the bursting charge, of course. You wouldn't want to endanger the populace with a blubber bomb. Ohh! An image popped up. Remember the beached whale they tried to dispose of with dynamite?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

"Sh*t storm hits New York" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"ZOLATONE"

Three shades of your choice. he background was a bland tone of blue, or brown or green or grey, and the splattereffect of two darker or lighter or (whatever) looked like one of your drunken friends had heaved up his pizza and wine the night before and it had dried in place, in GLOSS. It was usually reserved for the trunk area of yor 1951 Chevvy (for obvious reasons) or some other place you eweren't too fond of going.

Flash

And yeah, my favorite color was tan b/g, with maroon and orange barf. And I did use it in the trunk of my 51 Chev. I did the outside in a grand maroon, (only because I got a great deal on a set of maroon leather seats) with cream top and gold pinstripes. BIG gangster-style Portawalls, fender skirts,

Reply to
Flash

Since both of them are cartoon characters, I think it would be more fitting to have it slam into the side of a mountain before exploding. To be fair, they can have tiny umbrellas, in case of falling anvils.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And tiny little 4 shroud, square parachutes

Reply to
Gunner

Of course. We want to make sure they have a safe ride.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh, what a difficult choice. I'd go for a "Report Shell" with a tail, so you can follow it on the way up.

As for launching, are there any Battleships with main batteries that are still in operable condition? You need at least a 16" barrel to do a proper "Dr. Strangelove" with a shell like that...

And launch at an angle over the ocean, which might annoy the Coastal Commission as a bonus. They can make the average land owner's life a living hell, yet they can't force the celebs to open the beach access paths in Malibu (even when they agreed to Open Access as a condition of getting building permits) so a pox on all of them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "Michael A. Terrell" wrote on Fri, 10 Oct 2008

17:20:38 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Be sure to rig a girdle to catch them when they finally touch down. Don't want them to hurt their little tootsies.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Before, or after they slam into the side of the mountain?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell