Structural Folds or Creases in Aluminum

I have been looking at aluminum boats for the last couple years now with an eye towards how they are built. I have noticed a lot of them will have 'V's folded or stamped into the hull along the length for strength. I don't see anyway that a backyard builder could do this practically. How could I achieve this? Would it simply be better to just build a full internal frame in both directions?

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

On Mon, 19 May 2008 19:31:51 -0700, JR North wrote: (top posting fixed)

Where the bend isn't too severe you'll be able to get the thing to curve just fine.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I have an aluminum boat that was built without the creases; it used 3 long al angles riveted or bolted to the outside bottom.

nick hull