Stud welders?

I run into work that would be simpler and quicker if I had a stud welder but I can't bring myself to shell out for one. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to build one of the capacitor discharge variety? I'm just starting to think about it but with good scrounging the caps and an old mig gun modified to hold the studs it might be doable.

Any thoughts, anybody done it?

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

You might want to consider the spotweld type of design, high current and low voltage applied for a precisely timed interval.

This would require a high current transformer, either one designed for that purpose, or one that you could modify with a few turns of a heavy gage conductor for the secondary winding.

Not long ago, someone here on RCM mentioned that he had built a very good spot welder from several variac cores, with a secondary winding he added.

A timing and switching device would usually be applied to the transformer's primary side, to avoid the need for an ultra-high current switch to handle the secondary-side welding current.

The basic idea of stud welding is that a little nub protruding from the base of the stud is used as (to create) the weld.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

Wouldn't it be easier to start with a spot welder?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I take it you are talking about buying one new. Used you can get them at pretty good prices.

Check eBay.

I rented one for a job a few years back and it made life so much easier, but I just couldn't justify owning one.

I recommend just renting them when needed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Some info here:

Looks like an arc or TIG welder would serve as a power source.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for all the replies, more food for thought.

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV