Stupid idea for lathe attachment

I found that speaking another language a lot put me in the mindset of their grammatical patterns in English, so I sounded like Pennsylvania Dutch. I still sometimes transpose the first two digits of a number like German, as in "four and twenty blackbirds".

Or maybe he is writing standard Brooklynese.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

a 12" disc sander in my shop, but in my country (Germany) they are quite ex pensive, even used. I'm thinking of trying to kludge one on to back of the lathe, and mount a tilting table to the back cover (see link 2). This would save space, and I'm not that busy at the moment.

here's not much to attach to back there. My idea is to mount the disc plate to a long rod which goes all the way through the spindle bore and is then held by the chuck. Since the spindle bore is only 26mm, I'd need to make so me sort of adapter ring to make everything stable (See drawing - link 3). I feel like this should work, if a bit quixotic. Any ideas on whether or no t I'm on the right track, or if there would be another way to attach the di sc to the spindle? Ideas on the tilting table? I'm planning on doing everyt hing with aluminum, since I don't have a milling machine.

whole business must be easy to remove. The cover is fairly beefy, so I thin k with some reinforcement bars I can mount a table which would work well en ough.

I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty. The machine is twenty yea rs old!

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Well, English is my third language. I have found that many foreign speaker s of English are much more aware of correct grammar than natives. They thi nk more analytically when forming sentences in their non-native tongue. Lo ok at all the young spelling bee winners. They are almost always foreign b orn.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Well, English is my third language. I have found that many foreign speakers of English are much more aware of correct grammar than natives. They think more analytically when forming sentences in their non-native tongue. Look at all the young spelling bee winners. They are almost always foreign born.

Ivan Vegvary

================ I didn't really understand English grammar until I learned the Latin, French and German that it developed from.

I also didn't notice until recently that English has both a future perfective and an imperfective aspect (done / doing) functionally equivalent to the Russian po- prefix, and a verb tense that doesn't imply past, present or future time somewhat like the Greek Aorist. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Hmm ... can you handle a short workpiece at a greater diameter? Is the 14.5 cm radius based on clearing the carriage, or on just barely clearing the ways?

It doesn't look to be a gap-bed lathe, so that is not an option to get a bit larger diameter workpiece in there.

Sanding dust goes *everywhere*. If you are going to be sanding, cover the ways, carriage and tailstock with newspaper wet in oil to trap the dust -- and do as much as you can to keep the dust from getting inside the headstock covers, as you will abrade the threading gears as well.

Turn back a bit behind the square end to be a press fit for a compression spring -- two diameters -- one to allow the spring to move a bit, and one closer to the T-handle to trap the spring. Push on a spring which is long enough to push the key out of the socket whenever your hand is not on it -- and make a tube to hold it the rest of the time -- someplace easy to reach, like the front edge of the table it is mounted on. Easy enough to bolt something onto the perforated angle iron which is supporting the table top. Or ever thread some coat-hanger wire through two holes to make a complete loop plus a bit before turning into the holes.

Some chuck keys (such as my Bison 6-1/4 inch one) come with such a spring. I've left mine in place, though some pull them off.

[ ... ]

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

I've got a three-wheel benchtop bandsaw which includes a mounting for a disc on the fastest running hub -- and that might work well, as there is not as much precision machinery in the bandsaw. :-)

A pity that you can't find Harbor Freight there. Yes, they have really poor quality -- but also very inexpensive. I got a little disc/belt sander from them about a month ago. I had to pull it apart and properly re-align it so the disc plate did not bind on the guard. And do a little work to minimize the wobble of the disc plate. But for less than $30.00, it was worth it.

And in their monthly flyer, they've got a 6" disc, 4" belt for $59.99 (regular price $99.99, but I don't think *anyone* pays regular price. :-)

Is there some importer there like Harbor Freight?

I recognize that name. Welcome back!

Nope. Only those who are willing to keep a really active killfile. The political junk from trolls has been chasing off most of the better regulars.

I'm sort of putting my shop back together after a fire badly smoked it and rusted a lot of things. Since the shop has been cleaned out and re-drywalled it I've been setting things back up and using something called Evapo-Rust (which is actually carried by Harbor Freight, and does the job without containing hazardous chemicals. I've been de-rusting BXA sized toolpost tool holders, and smaller ones for the little Emco Compact-5/CNC lathe (Dickson style), as well as various other small tools.

Good Luck with re-building your shop, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I hung one of these on the wall behind the lathe:

It holds screwdrivers, wrenches, files etc in the front, serving as a guard rail, and toolholders on the rear step. The center of the front row is left open for the chuck key. Below it in the mounting plank a row of L hooks holds inside and outside calipers and old-style square box wrenches. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm not saying there isn't inspired modelling going on here, just no brick and morter stores which sell anything more than premade plastic train cars and stuff. Check this out:

lostfrom68jay

Or not speaking Englisch regularly enough.

Reply to
lostfrom68jay

Just a few more things.

I'm pretty good at managing dust:

70c49.jpg I do quite a bit of polishing work, so it's a priority.

There's no HF or McMaster here. You can however find an amazing amount of s tuff on Ebay if you're willing to search hard enough. The three machines yo u see in the photo were quite inexpensive and have lasted ten years so far. Once you go from a little belt sander to a 12in disc sander, the options f rom the lower end quickly disappear, and used machinery in general is more expensive and less available than in the States. I paid almost 1600 USD for that lathe. I bet it would fetch a third of that in US.

Reply to
lostfrom68jay

That's the ways. Only 8cm over the carriage. Like I said though, there is a small shop nearby which would do this for me for a reasonable price.

Reply to
lostfrom68jay

k and morter stores which sell anything more than premade plastic train car s and stuff.

Nice. Where's Waldo?

Guy that I use for my injection molded parts does mostly model railroad sca le stuff, and he has been doing a very good business with it too.

Craftsman once sold a sanding disk, with a course grit embedded on a steel plate, that you just chucked in the lathe. I still have mine, and could ta ke a picture of it if you want me to prove it.

I made a simple wood table rest that fit on the compound, and occasionally use it to shape some mahogany, say for a pattern. Cover the ways and clean up afterwards of course, no different than if you were doing a tool post g rinding operation. Occasional use with care has not harmed my lathe one bit as far as I can see. There is too much hysteria about this kind of thing IMO.

Make some dust, clean it up, have a ball.

Good luck

Reply to
PCS

Has Denglisch crept into ordinary non-technical speech much? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"PCS" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... Occasional use with care has not harmed my lathe one bit as far as I can see. There is too much hysteria about this kind of thing IMO. Make some dust, clean it up, have a ball. Good luck

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I like your triple French door. Looks handy for machinery moving.

I dunno about putting the dust exhaust 6" away from the unprotected intake vent, though.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wasn't much choice. I just don't run them both at the same time. There is a filter in there, of course.

Reply to
lostfrom68jay

Oh! I didn't think the intake was powered. It looked like a plain air exchange tube and I couldn' see a filter element in there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. There's a fan on the door at the end of each tube. The top one blows out (filter in the box) and the bottom one blows in. I stop the bottom tube at the other end with a bucket. I suppose some dust will accumulate in the bottom tube, but so far the blades on both fans are totally clean, so my f ilter seems to be effective.

As to dust on the ways, I'm with PCS. I've always done a lot of sanding and shaping with a scraper over the ways, and never seen any consequence. Just clean up after yourself, and not only the ways, but the lead screw too. Th at thing really likes to crud up when dust is around!

Reply to
robobass

Don, Yeah, it's too bad what has happened to this forum. I started reading it in the late '90's when I had just started up a commercial art shop and knew v ery little about machinery (not that I'm an expert now!). RCM was incredibl y valuable to me then. It was almost like having a team of veteran machinis ts dropping by for an hour every evening, looking over my operation, and of fering tips and criticism. Now you have to really scroll to find anything r emotely on topic. All good things... It's encouraging at least that this th read turned out to have been worth something. Now that I'm back in the game I'll start checking in here again.

Reply to
robobass

The more valid metalworking threads the better. Right now the total volume seems to be falling (in the past few weeks), and the percentage of metalworking increasing a bit, so there may be hope.

Of course, I do still run an active killfile. But I've seen it leave only about 10-15% and today it was closer to 50% I think. (Unless it is an artifact of news propagation and things are worse elsewhere.

Some have gone off to web based fora -- but I just can't be comfortable using a web browser to type in articles. :-)

A couple of metalworking-related mailing lists still going. One for the local metalworking club (Washington DC vicinity), and the other more international, and focused on model building, with metalworking one of the necessary parts of that.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols