Suggestions? Weedwacker motor

I have a nearly-new Homelite trimmer. So far it's broken 2 flexshafts @ $20 each. Only gave $50 for the trimmer!. So I've bought another trimmer.

What to do with the Homelite power head? Suggestions for an interesting use?

Reply to
Rex B

I saw a weed wacker motor used to make a blender, for making Margarita's. Really cool little item.

Glenn G

Reply to
Glenn

I've seen a motorcycle built with one. It looked like a sport bike & was about 2' long. It ran pretty quick...

Les

Reply to
oktr6r

Les how many weedwacker motors would it take to power a home built hack?

This winter I want to build something really different. I am leaning towards a Diesel or Steam powered bike. However a whole bunch of weed wacker engines has a certain apeal too.

See ya Les

Ironhorse, HSB#96, SENS BS

2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar 96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)
Reply to
Ironhorse

Too many... Syncronizing the carbs would be rough too.

I've been looking at a set of VW pistons & cylinders I got in a trade & wondering what it'd take to build a bike engine with 'em. Not ready to tackle that project yet though. You can bet that when i do, I'll give myself more than the week I had on the hack.

Good to see you hanging out here. Some interesting reading...

Later,

-- Les '70 TR6R w/ homebuilt sidehack '67 TR6R basket case

oktr6r

You was HAD! I got one a couple weeks ago for two dollars because it was leaking oil, yard sale at a town house complex. I wear asbestos gloves when I handle some of these deals! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Add an out of balance flywheel and attach to the back of your recliner. Voila, back massage chair.

ff

Reply to
ff

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

snipped-for-privacy@txol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

Hook it up to a bicycle generator, so you can have 6v DC. LOL!

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

I have used the guts from dead ones to build model engines. So far I have built 2 gas, 1 steam, and am thinking about a Stirling. The parts are excellent quality, usually in good shape, and readily adaptable to any application where a small crank and connecting rod are needed, such as a small compressor or an electric engine. Every so often, the city Parks Dept. cleans out their equipment repair shop, and tosses out engines of all sizes. I now have a lifetime supply of dead weedwhacker engines and parts.

Jim Don't raise the bridge, lower the water

Reply to
Pookie45678

Any details on how you built these engines?

Les

Reply to
oktr6r

I generally design the engine around the crankshaft and piston diameter. The steam engine is single-acting, 1 3/16 in.bore, and the gas engines are four-stroke with cast iron cylinder liners. One is an open design to show the working parts and the other in an enclosed crankcase design. All parts are made from bar stock. Some of the crankshafts are small enough that I can mill out a1

1/2 by 2 in. block of aluminum to form the main bearings and pad for the cylinder in one piece. This is how the steam engine was made. I am thinking about a Stirling using the same concept, using only the crankshaft and connecting rod. The connecting rod would drive the displacer and the power piston would be driven by a crank fitted to the tapered end of the crankshaft, with a flywheel on the other side. Unfortunately, I don't have any drawings on these. I like to design as I go and leave room to improvise and change on the fly. I am also looking at the plans for the Radial Five in HSM and wondering, What if it were twice as big....... Hope this helps.