Surface Plates

I misspoke a bit.

"The volcanic equivalent of plutonic granite is rhyolite."

"A-type or anorogenic granites are formed above volcanic "hot spot" activity and have peculiar mineralogy and geochemistry. These granites are formed by melting of the lower crust under conditions that are usually extremely dry. The rhyolites of the Yellowstone caldera are examples of volcanic equivalents of A-type granite."

"How the Egyptians worked the solid granite is still a matter of debate. Dr. Patrick Hunt has postulated that the Egyptians used emery shown to have higher hardness on the Mohs scale.

Many large Hindu temples in southern India, particularly those built by the 11th century king Rajaraja Chola I, were made of granite. There is a large amount of granite in these structures. They are comparable to the Great Pyramid of Giza"

Reply to
Cliff

Not always. Many pumps are lined with rubber if they're handling abrasive slurry and I certainly don't want granite tyres. Apart from the obvious lack of grip, they would last about twice round the block if you're lucky.

John

Reply to
John

I'll not comment about Polish or Italian snow/flat tires.

Reply to
Cliff