Scraping reference surface

I have no connection to this company.
http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html
If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for those that want to improve your old iron.
I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave your machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.
Wes

scraping reference surfaces requires that you scrape three at a time.
scrape two to mate perfectly. scrape the third to match one of the others. check the third against the untouched other one. then back through the three steps above until all three are a perfect mate up to both others. $630 is still reasonable though.
Stealth Pilot

That is if you don't have a reference surface.
Wes

And if you are positive that the reference surface is flat...
Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There is a thread going today about that at: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/30/6548.html
Forrest Addy was writing on how to test for flatness. I have two granites and work has a bunch of them. I've been planning to set my granites up on works far larger (and better) granites and sweep mine with my tenths indicator.
Wes
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You don't get a protocol for Chinese grave stones. Right?
Nick

I think they are cracking down on bad product ;)
Wes

Darn, I can think of a couple of bosses I've had who should have had the decency to do what that guy did.
-- Ed Huntress
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:13:11 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

It'd rip D.C. bare if everyone there did the right thing.
-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------
Stealth Pilot wrote:

Granite surface plates are so cheap these days, there is no sense in trying to make the master flat reference. I did use the 3 plates scheme to make a set of 3 right angle plates, however. It works! (You do this on the granite surface plate.)
Jon

I believe that is Michael Morgan's web site. Run a Google Groups search on that name and you should find that several buyers have had problems getting product from him. He still owes me the Bridgeport rebuilding book or at least a refund.
Mike

Darn. He doesn't have a stellar rep from first glance. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/20915.html#000000
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/search?group=rec.crafts.metalworking&q=Michael+Morgan+scraping&qt_g=Search+this+group
It appears he had a bankruptcy. I wonder if he has run his business any better this try?
What year did he fail to deliver what you ordered?
Having worked in a company that failed, I learned during the process that those that have prepaid in full get little satisfaction. If you only have a deposit then the courts, if they approve a reorganization plan, will likely require that orders with deposits be satisfied. Kinda weird if I understand it correctly. I guess the idea is cash flow.
Since I planned to make this a late fall purchase to get me through the snow season, I'll hold off a bit on making a purchase until I can check his current rep out a bit better. Thanks for the intel.
If I do buy it will be with my credit card since it has buyer protection (hope that isn't a scam).
Wes

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/search?group=rec.crafts.metalworking&q=Michael+Morgan+scraping&qt_g=Search+this+group
Based on email exchanges it did seem like he had a run of bad luck. I've long since given up on a refund and bear him no ill will.
I do have one of his unfinished straight edges that will eventually get Ebayed or sold outright since it is no longer needed. It has a small cavity (casting defect?) that can probably be milled out at the expense of some "meat". If you buy a new one you might check with other owners to see if it is a frequent occurrence.
Mike
Mike Henry wrote:

Contact him again. He was in DEEP doo-doo for a while, with several family members dying and a business that employed half a dozen people having to be foreclosed. I paid for the raw straight edge casting and the Bridgeport book. It took a LONG time to get the casting, which I was very happy with, and then he disappeared for a while. When he showed up again, I contacted him about the book, which wasn't written yet, and he agreed to send me the scraping book instead. There wasn't a lot in there that I hadn't already figured out, but he did eventually make good on the deal. He's a nice guy, and he's trying to make everything right. (Still, as a small businessman myself, I would never let things get this bad before I stopped accepting orders. But, having the kind of troubles he has been through, it can mess up your psyche, you think you will have everything cleaned up and be back on track in a week or two, then the next shoe drops.)
Jon

Hi Jon,
I tried contacting him for quite a while before just giving up. It was only $25 or so which is a drop in a bucket so far as such things go and the time/effort spent on trying to get current status was starting to be more of annoyance than not getting the book. ISTR that he had handed over sales to someone else so maybe things are better organized now. The scraping book and video seemed like a nice companion to Connelly's book.
Mike
Wes wrote:

Very nice tool, but quite expensive. You could get a 60° prism of accuracy 1 500mm long for 300.- EUR. Preisser brand (www.preisser.com). Mine will arrive this week.
Nick
Hi Guys:
I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag valid RCM traffic.
Add RCM: on the beginning of the title line - BEFORE the obligatory OT, OK?
Then we can filter on that tag.
Also need to add a filter for Re: RCM: to get the reply lines.
Hang tight - keep posting.
CaveLamb
cavelamb himself wrote:

No more OT-postings. Easy.
Nick
Nick Mueller wrote:

Ok, I can't argue that one.
Wes wrote:

Glad to see Michael Morgan is back in business. I got one of those castings and have made a decent straightedge out of it. I think it is too heavy, and therefore droops onto convex or concave surfaces more than the best Starrett or similar units, as it weighs about twice as much. You have to have the casting normalized after you machine off the hard shell, or else it will continue to warp for a year.
His books are quite good, haven't seen the videos. I have, however, seen him demonstrate the process at the 2001 or 2002 NAMES show. It is always amazing to see a real pro perform, whether it is music, theater or hand scraping.
Be aware he had some problems delivering stuff in a reasonable amount of time, so pay by credit card.
Jon