Swamp (Gunner?) flushing tank?

Been reading about flushing the tank to reduce sediment concentration. We are on really hard well-water. We have a salt softener, but it is a little hammer on a big lump of Calcium.

The top water trays are already showing crusty bits and we have only had the thing running barely a week.

I drained the tank by removing the overflow fitting. I thought I am thinking a Tee cut into the pump delivery line and a small restriction and hose to the overflow outlet.

That will mean constant water waste, but we can live with that if it makes the swamp last longer.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

It happens that Dave, I can't do that formulated :

In my experience Swamp coolers always waste a little water so that the water does not keep getting more and more concentration of salts.

Reply to
John G

Just thinking more about this, a more simple way would be to use the intern al part of the overflow tube.

Mark where the water level is when the swamp and pump has stopped and the f loat valve has shut off. That's the High water level.

Run the thing and let it stabilize the water level, say after 30-minutes on a hot day. Mark that level which will be the Low water level.

Unscrew the inside piece of the overflow tube and drill 1/16" hole somewher e between Low and High and screw it back into the overflow fitting. That wi ll bleed off water after shut off so it will only happen when the pump is n ot running. Right now I am pumping about 3-gallons per hour out the Tee and that's using just a 1/16" diameter hole at pump pressure though.

I guess the only down side to the hole in the overflow is that if the swamp is running for all of Summer. :) Here, it is turned off around 8:30pm as o utside temps generally drop to around low 80s by then

Thoughts?

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that