Flushing Follies

K:
    So, the toilet stopped flushing properly right about the time that Fran's white hairbrush came up missing. I asked her about it but it
hard to get a straight answer out of her. The water would come up in the bowl and then eventually go down but leave behind some junk and toilet paper. And no matter how many plunger plunges I did there seemed very little difference. Put some Liquid Plumber in it and let it sit. No better. Put some draino in it - didn't do anything either.     I went online searching for info, and one thing they said could be the problem is the small siphon hole could be plugged up.     I broke one of my plastic coat hangers (I threw away all the metal ones months ago) to try and dig around but it just wasn't long enough or flexible enough to reach very far. Drained the tank, and took the holddown screws off and tilted the toilet off it's base. Dug around some with no success. Went to the neighbor downstairs and offered to give him 5 plastic coat hangers for one metal one. He went to look and came back with a metal one but it was so thick (like 3/16" dia.) as to need a vise and a piece of pipe to bend it. So thanked him anyway. Put the toiled back since we had to use it.     Then went to WalMart and got a pack of 10 for $1.59. So I unwound one, cut the end off, put a small hook in it and went excavating. It didn't bend very well but I did manage to scrape out like 75 cents in change that had been stuck and was corroded. It didn't help the flushing though. But I did seem to feel something that was caught in passageway.     Took the toilet off again, and turned it upside down in the bathtub and started digging around in the bottom. Felt like there was something in there but I couldn't "hook" it. I thinking this is going to run some big bucks to replace the toilet and have it installed.     So I raised the toilet up on the edge of the bathtub and a little step stool (upside down of course) to let gravity try and help letting whatever was stuck in there come out the same way it went in, and dug around some more. I could hear the piece that was lodged moving around but couldn't get it out. After futzing around I stuck my hand way up the bowl and felt something, grabbed it and pulled it out. *Waaa-La*, it was Fran's lost hair brush!     Put it all back together and hooked up the lines and it works fine now.     How's that for the excitement of the weekend, eh? LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

How do family members always manage to do these things but when asked about it nobody will ever admit to knowing any thing? I usually get answers like "it did it by itself". Been there many times Bob. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction
BottleBob wrote:

Sounds like a shitty job! :D
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

THAT explains why BB is still willing to try and reform some of the resident sociopaths... Nothing too nasty for him to dig into. It is a good comparison.
Half-Nutz wrote:

    Ya know, the shit washes off, but the slimy wax from the seal at the base isn't very water or soap soluble. I had to use Comet cleanser about 5 times to get the wax off. LOL

    Now THAT was funny. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

I hear you on that wax... I've replaced a few toilets in my time, and that stuff is pretty nasty.

Somebody's got to do it, right? :) Cheers.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

Pretty sure ammonia cuts it.

http://tinyurl.com/d4gjp2

Uhh Clem wrote:

    Peek-a-boo. Normally, I doubt there is much that is very interesting plugging up a toilet. LOL
    BTW - I apologize for this shitty thread. The original post was an Opps, as it was meant to be an E-mail, not sent to the group.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Another good reason to use a real newsreader. :)
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
sittingduck wrote:

SD:
    Thunderbird is not a real newsreader?? You mean they lied to me? Those dogs. I should get my money back - oh yeah, it was free. Well they should at least be whipped with a toilet retrieved hairbrush!
    I think this is a just an example of Tom's "PBKAC" Problem is between keyboard and chair. No newsreader is going to prevent ALL boo-boos. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Thunderbird is a lot like OE. Primarily an email program with newsreading thrown in as a bonus. Both do the job, but are lacking a lot of things that dedicated newsreaders have.

Just about any of the decent newsreaders out there would have prevented the boo-boo you made with this thread. :)
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
sittingduck wrote:

SD:
    Things like what? What am I missing that I'm not even aware of?

    Why? Because the "decent" newsreaders are so specialized/limited that they aren't able to do mail AND newsgroups?     Personally, I'd rather not have to load up multiple programs to do things combo programs can do.
--
BottleBob wrote:

The biggest one for me is scoring. http://xnews.remarqs.net/scoring.txt There are tons of little things as well, like being able to highlight text in a post, and when you hit reply, ONLY that text is quoted, with the cursor right below it. The IDToken in Xnews alerts and upscores direct replies to my own posts. I can post to different servers from specific groups, automatically once I set it up. I can display whatever headers I choose, I can use Xface, etc. etc. There are dozens of features that a good newsreader can let you enjoy. I've been using Xnews for almost 7 years, and I am STILL finding little tweaks and tricks that I can use.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
sittingduck wrote:

SD:
    Scoring? Like used in killfiling? I haven't killfiled anyone, YET - so if that's all scoring's used for, it's a feature I'm not likely to use.

    That sounds cute, but what's the real advantage of choosing the text you WANT - as opposed to choosing the text you DON'T WANT?

    I can display full headers or partial headers.
    But I'll add that you're making such a concerted sales pitch for Xnews that I'll check it out.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Scoring can be used to kill articles, but that is only one function that it can perform.

It's a really quick and easy way to clean up your replies. You simply highlight what you want to quote, hit reply, and you're good to go.

With Xnews, I can select which partial headers are shown.

Only do so, if you are really into newsgroups. The learning curve turns a lot of people off. It's not really complicated or anything, it just takes a while to understand how it works and what it can do.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
sittingduck wrote:

SD:
    I downloaded Xnews. I remember now why I chose T-Bird after Netscape - it transferred over all my old favorites, and sent E-mails and posts.     Before I get very far into configuring various values - does Xnews have an integrated spell-checker that highlights or underlines the misspelled words as you type them? I would sorely miss that feature.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Netscape

If you set up an external editor, you simply click the "Ext. Edit" button in the reply window, and it will open your post in an editor (hopefully you set up one with spell-checking. :D) I use Aspell, it's very small and opens in a command window, so it's very fast too.
I've got Xnews and Aspell on D: I set it up according to XS11E's instructions, except substituted D: for C:
-----------------------
I downloaded Aspell and a dictionary (English for me) from
http://aspell.net/win32 /
Both are free. I installed Aspell and the dictionary.
Then I created a .bat file in the Xnews directory. Here's my file:
C:\Progra~1\ASPELL\bin\aspell.exe -c -e -x --dont-backup %1
Then I entered this as the "External Editor" in the Xnews setup under the "Compose" tab.
C:\Xnews\Aspell.bat
Now, to spell check I just click on the Ext. Edit button and it does the spell check.
Word can be used as well, just select it in the "External Editor" in the Xnews setup under the "Compose" tab.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

SD:
    Well, I'm repling from Xnews here. I don't have near enough seat time with it to make any sort of cogent evaluation. But I will say it does seem to have a lot of options, and I'll keep it on my desktop for possible future use.     T-Bird has all my related files, so I'll proably stick with that for now.
BottleBob wrote:

Just keep in mind the fact that much of what it can do, and many of its advantages are not obvious, and take a bit of tinkering to realize.
One of the things I like, is "hide groups with no unread messages". If you have xnews get message counts at startup, it will only display groups with unread messages. If you have large list of groups, it can save you the hassle of opening groups that don't contain anything new.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
sittingduck wrote:

SD:
    I saw some of the features it has, and it's kind of like using Pro-E/Pro-Manufacturing for milling a washer.

    I'm not what you'd call a Usenet poweruser junkie, I only visit a couple of groups. I don't killfile people in newsgroups - although I have quite an extensive killfile for E-mail spammers.
    So all in all, I think while Xnews seems to be a powerful program - it's overkill for my simple needs.