Flushing Follies

K:

So, the toilet stopped flushing properly right about the time that Fran's white hairbrush came up missing. I asked her about it but it hard to get a straight answer out of her. The water would come up in the bowl and then eventually go down but leave behind some junk and toilet paper. And no matter how many plunger plunges I did there seemed very little difference. Put some Liquid Plumber in it and let it sit. No better. Put some draino in it - didn't do anything either. I went online searching for info, and one thing they said could be the problem is the small siphon hole could be plugged up. I broke one of my plastic coat hangers (I threw away all the metal ones months ago) to try and dig around but it just wasn't long enough or flexible enough to reach very far. Drained the tank, and took the holddown screws off and tilted the toilet off it's base. Dug around some with no success. Went to the neighbor downstairs and offered to give him 5 plastic coat hangers for one metal one. He went to look and came back with a metal one but it was so thick (like 3/16" dia.) as to need a vise and a piece of pipe to bend it. So thanked him anyway. Put the toiled back since we had to use it. Then went to WalMart and got a pack of 10 for $1.59. So I unwound one, cut the end off, put a small hook in it and went excavating. It didn't bend very well but I did manage to scrape out like 75 cents in change that had been stuck and was corroded. It didn't help the flushing though. But I did seem to feel something that was caught in passageway. Took the toilet off again, and turned it upside down in the bathtub and started digging around in the bottom. Felt like there was something in there but I couldn't "hook" it. I thinking this is going to run some big bucks to replace the toilet and have it installed. So I raised the toilet up on the edge of the bathtub and a little step stool (upside down of course) to let gravity try and help letting whatever was stuck in there come out the same way it went in, and dug around some more. I could hear the piece that was lodged moving around but couldn't get it out. After futzing around I stuck my hand way up the bowl and felt something, grabbed it and pulled it out. *Waaa-La*, it was Fran's lost hair brush! Put it all back together and hooked up the lines and it works fine now. How's that for the excitement of the weekend, eh? LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

How do family members always manage to do these things but when asked about it nobody will ever admit to knowing any thing? I usually get answers like "it did it by itself". Been there many times Bob. Michael

Reply to
Michael

Sounds like a shitty job! :D

Reply to
sittingduck

THAT explains why BB is still willing to try and reform some of the resident sociopaths... Nothing too nasty for him to dig into. It is a good comparison.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Ya know, the shit washes off, but the slimy wax from the seal at the base isn't very water or soap soluble. I had to use Comet cleanser about 5 times to get the wax off. LOL

Now THAT was funny. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

I hear you on that wax... I've replaced a few toilets in my time, and that stuff is pretty nasty.

Somebody's got to do it, right? :) Cheers.

Reply to
sittingduck

Pretty sure ammonia cuts it.

Uhh Clem

Peek-a-boo. Normally, I doubt there is much that is very interesting plugging up a toilet. LOL

BTW - I apologize for this shitty thread. The original post was an Opps, as it was meant to be an E-mail, not sent to the group.

Reply to
BottleBob

Yea, same thing has happened to me a few times.. The best was there was a clog in the line between the outside cleanout and the toilet.. My snake couldn't reach it from either end.. Ended up renting one of the power snakes from Home Depot and that worked great. Ended up being one of my son's toy's he got from a happy meal.. IIRC it was a figure from 'The Incredibles' oh, and of course he didn't do it.. I think the final words were, I put it in the toilet but my sister flushed it.. lol

Reply to
tnik

Another good reason to use a real newsreader. :)

Reply to
sittingduck

SD:

Thunderbird is not a real newsreader?? You mean they lied to me? Those dogs. I should get my money back - oh yeah, it was free. Well they should at least be whipped with a toilet retrieved hairbrush!

I think this is a just an example of Tom's "PBKAC" Problem is between keyboard and chair. No newsreader is going to prevent ALL boo-boos. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Thunderbird is a lot like OE. Primarily an email program with newsreading thrown in as a bonus. Both do the job, but are lacking a lot of things that dedicated newsreaders have.

Just about any of the decent newsreaders out there would have prevented the boo-boo you made with this thread. :)

Reply to
sittingduck

I don't know BB. It's really hard to accidently send an email with Xnews. In fact, looking at the Xnews page right now, I don't see a way to email this reply.

Reply to
Alphonso

SD:

Things like what? What am I missing that I'm not even aware of?

Why? Because the "decent" newsreaders are so specialized/limited that they aren't able to do mail AND newsgroups? Personally, I'd rather not have to load up multiple programs to do things combo programs can do.

Reply to
BottleBob

The biggest one for me is scoring.

are tons of little things as well, like being able to highlight text in a post, and when you hit reply, ONLY that text is quoted, with the cursor right below it. The IDToken in Xnews alerts and upscores direct replies to my own posts. I can post to different servers from specific groups, automatically once I set it up. I can display whatever headers I choose, I can use Xface, etc. etc. There are dozens of features that a good newsreader can let you enjoy. I've been using Xnews for almost 7 years, and I am STILL finding little tweaks and tricks that I can use.

Reply to
sittingduck

It's actually easy to email a message via Xnews, but very difficult to do it accidentally. :)

Reply to
sittingduck

Scoring? Like used in killfiling? I haven't killfiled anyone, YET - so if that's all scoring's used for, it's a feature I'm not likely to use.

That sounds cute, but what's the real advantage of choosing the text you WANT - as opposed to choosing the text you DON'T WANT?

I can display full headers or partial headers.

But I'll add that you're making such a concerted sales pitch for Xnews that I'll check it out.

Reply to
BottleBob

Alphonso:

Are you telling me that Xnews doesn't do E-mail? That would certainly be a downer. T-Bird does both and it's simple & convenient to switch back and forth. (hence my little boo-boo). I also occasionally post a reply to a group AND send the same reply to an individual. So you're saying I'll lose that ability with Xnews? But like I told Duck, I'll check it out and see if it's for me.

Reply to
BottleBob

Scoring can be used to kill articles, but that is only one function that it can perform.

It's a really quick and easy way to clean up your replies. You simply highlight what you want to quote, hit reply, and you're good to go.

With Xnews, I can select which partial headers are shown.

Only do so, if you are really into newsgroups. The learning curve turns a lot of people off. It's not really complicated or anything, it just takes a while to understand how it works and what it can do.

Reply to
sittingduck

No, you will not lose that.

Reply to