Flushing Follies

SD:

I downloaded Xnews. I remember now why I chose T-Bird after Netscape

- it transferred over all my old favorites, and sent E-mails and posts. Before I get very far into configuring various values - does Xnews have an integrated spell-checker that highlights or underlines the misspelled words as you type them? I would sorely miss that feature.

Reply to
BottleBob

If you set up an external editor, you simply click the "Ext. Edit" button in the reply window, and it will open your post in an editor (hopefully you set up one with spell-checking. :D) I use Aspell, it's very small and opens in a command window, so it's very fast too.

I've got Xnews and Aspell on D: I set it up according to XS11E's instructions, except substituted D: for C:

-----------------------

I downloaded Aspell and a dictionary (English for me) from

Both are free. I installed Aspell and the dictionary.

Then I created a .bat file in the Xnews directory. Here's my file:

C:\Progra~1\ASPELL\bin\aspell.exe -c -e -x --dont-backup %1

Then I entered this as the "External Editor" in the Xnews setup under the "Compose" tab.

C:\Xnews\Aspell.bat

Now, to spell check I just click on the Ext. Edit button and it does the spell check.

Word can be used as well, just select it in the "External Editor" in the Xnews setup under the "Compose" tab.

Reply to
sittingduck

sittingduck wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nomail.afraid.org:

SD:

Well, I'm repling from Xnews here. I don't have near enough seat time with it to make any sort of cogent evaluation. But I will say it does seem to have a lot of options, and I'll keep it on my desktop for possible future use. T-Bird has all my related files, so I'll proably stick with that for now.

Reply to
BottleBob

Just keep in mind the fact that much of what it can do, and many of its advantages are not obvious, and take a bit of tinkering to realize.

One of the things I like, is "hide groups with no unread messages". If you have xnews get message counts at startup, it will only display groups with unread messages. If you have large list of groups, it can save you the hassle of opening groups that don't contain anything new.

Reply to
sittingduck

SD:

I saw some of the features it has, and it's kind of like using Pro-E/Pro-Manufacturing for milling a washer.

I'm not what you'd call a Usenet poweruser junkie, I only visit a couple of groups. I don't killfile people in newsgroups - although I have quite an extensive killfile for E-mail spammers.

So all in all, I think while Xnews seems to be a powerful program - it's overkill for my simple needs.

Reply to
BottleBob

Well, it's not for everyone.... If you ever delve deeper into Usenet and want a program that lets you get the most out of it, you will know what to use. I commend you for giving it a shot though, most people are too lazy to even try. :) If we don't try new things once in a while, we miss many opportunities.

Reply to
sittingduck

So you have mikes that also act as cutting tools?

Chuckle...

Try Agent. Want me to send you a cracked version?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner:

That's a poor analogy, since there are programs in existence that do both E-mail % Newsgroups. I'm not aware of any micrometer that can double as a cutting tool.

You seem to be very easily amused.

Why would I want a cracked version of ANYTHING, let alone Agent which has a FREE version. In fact Free Agent is on my desktop from trying it a couple of years ago - I didn't like it.

Want me to send you a link to Thunderbird so your can streamline your online access with a program that is able to do mail AND newsgroups?

Reply to
BottleBob

Agent is pretty poor. It seems to appeal to trolls and wackos though, a good portion of them seem to use it.

Reply to
sittingduck

1.93? If not...shrug...you dont have the best version.

Why..and have the same problems you have?

Btw...the cracked version I have has both Usenet and Email...

But hey..if you dont like it...shrug.

1.93 was the last version of Agent that worked properly without muss or fuss.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner:

Clicking on my shortcut for Free Agent, I get:

Version 1.93

That's pretty much the bottom line. If things change, it's there. Thanks for the suggestion of Agent though.

Reply to
BottleBob