"T" into drain line

I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well that sounds like ABS so the easy method would be a saddle fitting. They look like a normal Y or T with 1/2 the fitting sawn away. You drill a hole into the side of the pipe and then apply cement to the fitting and glue it over the hole. Many have room for hose clamps to lock them down tight as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've seen saddle "T"s at Home Despot and thought: "How COOL!".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you can't find one, cut a hole in the line with a hole saw. Cut a "T" in half lengthwise and remove any protrusions and glue and hose clamp in place.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'll look for a saddle fitting, probably do this for temporory if i can't get it right away. Milady is getting a new kitchen remodel and a new dishwasher is part of the deal. I'm upgrading the water and drain lines so it can be winterized in a few minutes. Twelve years of crawling under the old one to disconnect is enough.

This is a last appliance to upgrade. Now, I'll be able to get the house ready for winter within 20 minutes after I get the word, "let's go fishin' "

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Needs a vacuum break if you do it that way, usually modern sinks have a knockout for that, looks like a small chrome cup upside-down. Actually, you should use the vacuum break on any sewer connection from a dishwasher, keeps from getting backflow and contaminating the potable water supply. Dishwasher should never drain directly into the sewer. Codes got strict on that decades back.

Also, be aware that there's a pump in the dishwasher that will retain water. If the house gets below freezing, likely the pump will be in pieces, just like one in a clothes washer will. Would need the RV antifreeze treatment. That's if we're talking summer home here.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Most are installed in the -downside- of the P-trap, near the vent. Mine has a short, 3", pipe inserted there with the dishwasher nipple in it.

TIP: Be sure to install it with the nipple UP so it doesn't send greywater back toward the dishwasher. When the checkvalves plug up or go out, they leak it back into the dishwasher. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The plumbing supply place should carry a tailpiece that has a dishwasher drain tee'd into it . I have one in brass that was removed when I installed a disposal ... one key to preventing backflow into the DW is to loop the drain hose up as high as possible under the countertop - I usually tie that loop to one of the sink clamps .

Reply to
Terry Coombs