Table and Circ saw blades for metal

Gang, A while back, someone posted a link to a company that sells table and circular saw blades especially for cutting metals. There were some very impressive videos of a guy cutting thick slabs of various metals with these blades. I lost my bookmarks when doing an upgrade, and can't seem to find it in Google. Does anyone have the link? Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Cassaro

for the videos

groups.google.com search for "ernie new way to cut steel group:rec.crafts.metalworking" yields this thread

StaticsJason

Reply to
Statics

surftom

Yep, that's the one. Thanks for all the replies. Dan

Reply to
Dan Cassaro

Steve

I've been cutting 4-inch (!) thick 6061 aluminum slabs on my radial arm saw with a Dewalt carbide 12-inch 32-tooth DW3123 circular blade from Home Depot. It throws out a blizzard of aluminum flakes cutting a few mm/sec.

Critically important to clamp well. I use C-clamps on the edge of the table, or drill for lag screws in the interior of the table and use the milling machine clamping kit arms and step-blocks, like on a slotted machine table.

I recklessly started to cut a short piece of 3 x 3 x 1/4 square aluminum tubing without clamping. A tooth caught the work and bounced it off my hand and thence about 50 feet across the lawn. I had eye protection on, but a flying sharp chunk like that could lacerate you pretty good in the face, arms, or torso.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Richard, are you climb cutting, or conventional?

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Conventional ("mostly"), pushing the radial arm carriage away from you, from front to back of the saw table. This maximizes the length of cut possible. I say, "mostly", because if you (recklessly) hand-hold a piece, the end of the cut turns from conventional to climb cutting, as the last part of the cut tends to push the work against the vertical backstop.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch