Taking a pintle ring out of a military trailer

I am trying to flip the lunette ring down on a military generator trailer.

I got the nut unscrewed, and I am using the same nut to push the lunette adaptor out. You see the nut pushing against two steel blocks:

The damned lunette ring, however, would not budge.

How is it supposed to come out?

My next step, unless I get some great idea, is to retry the same thing, except that this time I will use Shell Alvania EP grease on the threads and where the nut touches the steel blocks. I am hoping that it would increase the force somewhat.

It is probably tapered and rusted in place.

See

for how the lunette ring looks like.

Any great ideas?

Ignoramus25197

Well, it did come out, it took all tension on that nut, plus a force of a 30 lb sledgehammer.

Before reinserting it upside down, I wonder if, perhaps, I should grease the conical, tapered surfaces? It will prevent further rust, but perhaps it would be unsafe due to less friction?

Ignoramus25197

PrecisionmachinisT

:

You probably could have compounded the force a bit by making 2 blocks with a slight taper to each that you could adjust with a bolt so that the two parallel faces get farther apart as you tighten the screw. With this assembly substituting for the large steel block in your first picture, you could have coaxed a whole lot of force in the direction you needed. After all with a locking taper all you need do is to get it to move just a little bit.

Also looking at the photo, you might have been flexing the plate that the blocks were against. If you could have shored that up a bit it might have gone a bit easier also.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work