Taking down a huge jib crane (10 ton)

I just won this in auction. A 10 ton Abell-Howe jib crane with electric cable hoist.
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Bombardier/193.jpg
It is very tall. I have not personally seen it and bid online, but the picture looks like it is appx. 21 foot tall.
I paid a pretty low amount for it, no doubt reflecting a perceived difficulty taking it down.
My forklifts probably will not reach high enough to raise the boom to take it off the post.
The question is, can I somehow safely remove the boom without calling in a mobile crane (think $1,000+ fee).
I am very cognizant that an unlucky outcome of trying to get by without a mobile crane can be many times that much.
I did price my bid with the expectation that I will make money even after paying for a crane. But it would be nice to save $1k. Any ideas?

Clear the LZ and wrap it with det cord.

Add some cribbing on top of the forks , all you need to do is support it while you torch it loose - assuming you plan to scrap it . A stack of junk pallets might be just the ticket . Be damn careful when you lower it ...
--
Snag

No, I want to resell it. So I want to preserve it intact.

I found a picture of the same sort of crane at this website:
http://heilocrane.com/images/ahco_jib_1.jpg
After a minute, I realized that, likely, both pictures depict the same crane. The same exact shed is sitting next to both cranes. The difference between them, is that my picture has a safety climbing ladder, and the crane in the corporate picture does not. I guess that it was added later.
These pictures also agree with aerial reconnaissance maps provided by bing.
http://binged.it/16DpfdB
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:47:04 -0500, Ignoramus10615

If it's situated on the side of the dock like that, it'll be a tricky pick without a crane.

Zooming in, that address looks like an empty pad where a building used to be. <g>
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

If that is the same jib crane in both pictures, then its height is closer to 30 feet.
Pay for the crane.
Paul K. Dickman

Paul, I looked and I agree. It is 30 foot high.
I called around and found a crane company that can rent me a 30 ton crane with operator, for $180/hour, minimum 3 hours in the afternoon. It should be straightforward. I will go see it today.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:20:09 -0500, Ignoramus10615

Then you are going to have to rent a crane.
Shrug
Gunner
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

See if the Chinese waterfront sector in ChiTown has some spare bamboo? <g>
Do you have a knuckle boom crane truck, perchance? You could use it to erect some a-frame towers and rigging which would get that down for you. If not, time to look for one. They're damned handy.
Alternatively, an old drilling or sign truck should work for that, too.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

I do not think that a knuckle boom would do it, too much height and weight.
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:41:26 -0500, Ignoramus10926

I was talking about using the KB to erect an a-frame, but thought the object was about 12-15' high. I had no idea! <g>
You're smart going to a rented crane/op.
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Ignoramus10615 wrote:

I'd opt for the crane. Disconnect the electrics, anchor the winch and lift the boom off in one chunk. Torch off the mounting bolts/studs and have the crane lower the post. MUCH easier that tempting fate.
Then start looking around the auctions for a split boom wrecker. With the items you're working with the ability to sling lift and load an item would be a good thing.
--
Steve W.

I gotta agree.

Military sells a lot of M936 wreckers. But I am pretty sure that they are too small for this 10 ton jib. Usually jibs weigh about as much as their capacity rating, esp. if they have a big boom.
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:20:17 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus10615 wrote: > I just won this in auction. A 10 ton Abell-Howe jib crane with

>I did price my bid with the expectation that I will make money even

You can always get local union construction help by calling the Operating Engineers in your area. They work with hoisting equipment all the time.
Union work (organized help) is better than roulette - just taking your chances (like you're doing now).
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:20:17 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus10615 wrote:

Whatever you do, don't forget to post pictures. OK?

Just tip dat muthafucka over, and let it come crashing down to the grownd? Mebbe let if fall on a bed of used tires....
--
EA