A huge crane fail! 60 ton boom snapped like a drinking straw!

Scary situation.
http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Crane-Fail/

Sorry, forgot to attach a picture, here goes , see website below.

Ignoramus11173 wrote:

Wow! It's difficult to tell from the perspective in the picture, but it looks to me like the crane was set excessively far away from the lift point and had the boom at too shallow an angle, looking 45 degrees or so.
A couple years ago I got to play with a 60T Grove moving 40' containers and we had it setup only about 40' from the crane boom pivot point to the lift point and the boom extended to give probably a 60 degree angle with loads of around 12,000# for a container and a small amount of contents.

[I added one more picture]
Yes, I agree with that. It was a risky lift and somehow or other, it was riskier than they thought.

I would have expected that commercial crane services , like that one, should have load moment indicators and other tools to prevent such incidents.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:51:32 -0600, Ignoramus11173

Yes, bad angle and probably a lot heavier than the crane operator thought. That's a bad combination!

Yeah, the operator will probably get a heavy fine (if not loss of his license) plus damages. Somebody wasn't paying attention. if the crane owner hadn't maintained the rig, it may fall on him instead, though. The investigation should be interesting. How many cranes now have auto-recording equipment? Probably all the computerized models, wot?
--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!

The crane looks new-ish, I would suppose that it could have a weight reading from the pressure on the hydraulic winch.

I hope that they had all kinds of insurance, now a big battle of insurance companies will begin. I am glad that I am not a party to that.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:27:45 -0600, Ignoramus11173

Maybe someone forgot those last two bolts at the base...

Yeah, at the very least, even if analog.

Verily. Many a business has gone tits-up from crane accidents.
--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Ignoramus11173 wrote:

They have load cells up the boom at the top pulley. They have a cable reel on the outside of the boom that reels out cable to that load cell. There is a computer in the operator's cab that give all the relevant information, load ratings based on boom angle, CG calculations, etc.

I'm fairly sure a company that can afford a $750K crane would have insurance on it.
Ig wrote:

Smart ones would. But I wonder if any of the guys on that job in Oz even spoke English, let along Australian.
It's required by law in many states, if not by fed regulations. OSHA evidently added regs requiring overload protection in 2010, but that doesn't cover Oz. <shrug> From 3 pages of regulations to 43 pages in one fell swoop. Amazing. http://acadiainsurance.com/assets/files/docs/loss_control/Crane%20Regulation.pdf
--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
On 11/20/2014 10:27 PM, Ignoramus11173 wrote: ...

As a local in the morning coffee shop is wont to say, "That'll be a two-lawyer deal!" ;)

They do. That doesn't avoid the issue of the operator's ignoring or overriding them. L
Ignoramus11173 wrote:

Those cranes do have computers monitoring and giving warning alarms, but it's still possible for things to go bad too fast to react or to miscalculate your load. If the computer gave them a load rating based on the boom angle that was just a bit over the presumed weight of the tank, and the tank snagged and added extra load mid lift it could well have been all over by the time the operator recognized the alarm.

Exactly
I recall seeing a photo of a tree removal gone bad. They were cutting down a tree behind the house, and had a truck mounted crane reaching over the roof to the tree.
When you saw it, the tree was still in the back yard but the trunk was facing the stars at say 130 degrees, with the boom having cut the house in half.

This is my favorite evening pastime.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:04:34 -0600

I only made it through about half of them, had to get some stuff done...
"Best Diesel Engine Runaway 2014"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIfjmvXp0I

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I worked on German made Tower Cranes with horizontal booms, twenty years ago, that had a load limiting device on them. They wouldn't pick up a load that was too heavy for them and if you picked a load up close to the tower and tried to move it out the boom to a position where the load was too heavy for the crane the in/out function stopped any further outward movement.
I was told by the crane operator that this feature was common on tower cranes.
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb

Look at the retarded moment at 1:27, dumbass trying to forklift up the oxygen tank bank, you can expect anything from a crew like that.
But I am glad that I do not have to deal with such huge tall things. The tallest thing that I handled, was about 25 feet tall.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:40:37 -0800, the renowned Gunner Asch

At least they were wearing hard hats, for all the good that would have done the poor dumb buggers.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:34:57 -0600, Ignoramus11173

Union worker, no doubt. <evil grinne>

I'll bet!

Wouldn't you have stripped the crane module off the top first, in pieces, so the demo of the frame would have been safer?