Firearm question for all the enth

Hi, Guys:
Question on antique firearm a friend has ended up with..
Firearm is a Harrington and Richardson 0.38 calibre 5-shot revolver
believe it was made between 1886 and 1897 (?)
An "American Double-Action" believed to be series 1 rev 2.. based on co. name not stamped on barrel
Does it accept 0.38 long Colt or short Colt? Or something else?
On 11/20/2014 2:54 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote: Hi, Guys:
Question on antique firearm a friend has ended up with..
Firearm is a Harrington and Richardson 0.38 calibre 5-shot revolver believe it was made between 1886 and 1897 (?)
An "American Double-Action" believed to be series 1 rev 2.. based on co. name not stamped on barrel Does it accept 0.38 long Colt or short Colt? Or something else?
The H&R Model 1904 was chambered for both the 32 S&W and the 38 S&W so if you're positive about the model then I'd also guess that yours is chambered for the 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police cartridges. The only discrepency I see is that those cartridges had a nominal outside diameter of .3865 but you indicated that the chamber measures only .382".
The old H&R revolvers were never chambered for the Long Colt or the 38 Special, AFAIK.
I would note that last time I contacted Harrington & Richardson (maybe 3-4 years ago) atleast some of the old H&R guys were still there and they were glad to answer questions.
Dropping H&R an email question on the H&R website can't hurt. You might get lucky and find some of those old guys are still there and still willing to answer a question or two.
--

"Richard" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:gfudnSjp_9pG_ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:25:21 -0700, the renowned "Bob La Londe"

Thanks, I'll pass that and Richards concise comments along.
It seems to be a fairly primitive thing from what he told me.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany