technical searches - search engine giving global view

Hi all

Hope OK cross post r.c.m. and s.e.j.w. Looking for help and suggestions.

The problem I am finding now:

When doing technical information web-searches - eg. "winch" or "capstan" - the search engine tries to be clever and restricts "hits" to only your home country's sites. Not at all what you want for a technical information search.

And I haven't found a way to defeat this behaviour. Trying things like going to "

" (not
and it still detects I am in the United Kingdom and generates the same UK-only output.

Finding "Google" all but useless now - unless you really are going shopping for Chinese-made 12V-electric vehicle winches at your nearest retail outlets!!!!!!

So after years of using "Google" - now realising Google and me are going to have to go separate ways.

Anyone have an answer - a Web search-engine which delivers an unrestricted global view on the subject you are interested in?

Thanks

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Copernic uses multiple search engines. I've only used the free version.

Polyp

I should have been more specific:

Polyp

After deleting the Google cookie with my saved preferences I searched for "multifix tool post for sale" and this was near the top:

They are uncommon in the US so international responses aren't 25000 entries down.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I find a similar but slightly different problem. It is often hard to come up with search terms for Google that eliminate sites trying to sell things. I have tried Bing and it seems to be even more oriented toward sites that sell.

The WSJ had a half page article on Wolfram Alpha. It is a site that gives answers to math problems and similar problems. Still a work in progress but interesting.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

and

"winch" or

restricts "hits"

want for a

Trying things

it still

UK-only

are going

your nearest

and me are

an

in?

My search engine of choice is:

Phil Kangas

If you go to the main google search page and click Advanced search then click Date, Usage Rights, Numeric Range and More, then drop down the Region bar you can search on a specific country.

Not the same as what you wanted, but maybe better for some things. can select the country

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I do this

site:.ca foobar AND feefaw

but that's one region at a time. Still, it helps with Craig's List etc.

I have a different but related problem. A search for books on 'how to write a correspondence course' resulted in 10,000 hits for courses for everything from avocado growing to zebra raising - but nothing like I wanted. I tried my local librarian who interloaned two books from a library I didn't know about!

Why are you searching for winches or capstans if not for purchase?

Reply to
N Morrison

I normally use Google, but switch to Clusty at the first sign of fumbling.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

WHY, exactly,is it necessary to download a program to my comuter to use their search engine?????

Reply to
cavelamb

You don't use their search engine, IT uses everyone elses search engines for you.

I use it as it saves me from visting multiple search engines if I'm having trouble locating something. Just key in your search terms and it plugs them into a variety of search engines and returns the results. Nothing too sinister, honest!

Reply to
Polyp

?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It could be many reasons. The internet does not exist purely for advertising and sales as some people seem to think.

Reply to
F Murtz

Interested. Want to try making stuff. Make something and investigate its fundamental properties.

See things I have done recently

This takes me to this point of now thinking of winches, capstans and the like.

Take for instance making a simple hand-cranked winch. There is supposed to be helical winding and proper layering of the cable if the fleet angle from the lead block is within a certain range. Would be good to see that. Then in the process you are certain to find out all other kinds of things. IN the general case, other benefits come by while you are following specific plans.

Then for a capstan... I've managed to rescue a worm-drive gearbox with electric motor currently attached. Should be about right speed for a capstan. What is the ideal shape for a capstan drum? Are there a set of "rules" or "guidelines"? Is there a suggestion as to the best way to make (improvise) a capstan drum? Does anyone show how to use a capstan properly and to good effect?

It's the "primary skills" from which you build bigger projects. You need to test and try them to get to know them.

These skills have taken me into a career in construction and technology.

So I am looking the Internet (NNTP news, email, Web) as a way to share information between enthusiasts. In this case it's about how to use the Web for information sharing.

Richard S.

Reply to
Richard Smith