stuck oil filter!

I have a 96 chevy 350 1500 4x4. The oil filter is almost impossible to get to. To make a long story short. the filter is a crumpled up mess. I took the housing that fiton on the block off and still cant get the reminents of the folter off. I have tried using a screwdriver and hammer to turn the old filter, did not work. Any ideas?

Also, this truck has two wcrew in lines to this housing that go to a factory oil cooler. Anyone know if these lines have seals in them? I appreciate your help!

Reply to
stryped

Cut enough of the filter can off to expose the nut or threaded area of the filter. Then try two things.

Using a hammer and chisel at an angle to spin the nut off,

or chisel the nut to expand it's diameter by chiseling directly toward the center line of the nut in 5 or 6 places, and revert to step one.

Reply to
Tim

  1. what tim said - usually a cold chisel on the rim of the filter where it is rolled together will spin it off
  2. on my 93, there is an o-rin seal on these lines at the radiator end, I have never pulled the other end
Reply to
Bill Noble

I have learned that some models have a different filter housing where the filter sits vertically instead of horizontally. These do not use an oil cooler. Will there be any issues if I convert to this and not use an oil cooler?

Reply to
stryped
[ ... ]

Based on my experience years ago -- converting an MGA's filter mounting point to one which turned the filter vertically (much easier to change the filter -- I no longer had to jack the engine up in the motor mounts to clear the frame), and keeping the oil cooler, I had both flex oil lines to the oil cooler fail shortly after the conversion -- because the lines had been cooked into shape over the years and had become rather brittle.

If you totally remove all the existing oil lines going to the cooler and don't need to re-route any other flexible lines, you might get away with it -- but I would suggest replacing the oil lines with new and keeping the cooler so the engine does not get as hot -- particularly in the oil pan.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have learned that some models have a different filter housing where the filter sits vertically instead of horizontally. These do not use an oil cooler. Will there be any issues if I convert to this and not use an oil cooler?

Reply to
Bill Noble

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Fortunately the worst I have encountered could be removed by driving a punch through them, and using it for a tee handle.

I always use the old standard of wetting the seal with oil, spinning down until the seal contacts, and adding 1/3 of a turn. I have never had one leak, and have always been able to remove them by hand. This info used to be printed on some filters.

Reply to
Tim

You have the adapter off? Chuck it into a good vise, tear the can off and arc-weld a solid steel bar to the base-plate of the filter. The heat will release the gasket as well as any seizure to the center-post thread - the bar will give you leverage to remove it.

Reply to
clare