OT- teletype manual

There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm digging through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found a technical manual for a type 33. Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the documentation library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

axolotl fired this volley in news:h4gbjc $73a$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

digging

I'd love to have it, Kevin. I maintained them for years, and still have a few friends who keep them for the paper tape reader function.

PM me, and I'll make sure it doesn't cost you anything.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Any chance of offering it to Google books - even as a scan?

Reply to
N Morrison

This terminal was the first computer experience I had, back in 68, I was in 7th grade and the school system had these with the phone hand set modem at 110 baud (does anyone remember FOCAL programing language?). Somewhere in the system was a PDP11, I have the 16K core memory from that computer when it was scrapped (circa 1981). What truly amazes me is that with all the unique piece parts that spun the upper case ascii character cylinder, that we could ever build such a thing (in the USA) with all the hours of labor and minions of unique designed (on paper) and manufactured components.

ignator

Reply to
ignator

On Jul 26, 1:23=A0pm, ignator wrote: ...

They are descended from sewing machines, typewriters, bicycles etc which inspired mass production on automatic machinery beginning around the 1880's.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Actually, that would have been a PDP-8. It was a pretty good program for the resources of a PDP-8, and would run with only 4 K 12-bit words of memory.

I suppose at some later time somebody had a PDP-8 emulator that ran on the PDP-11 at about the same speed. Hah! Run an interpreter on an interpreter!

Ah, the bad old days of computing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I started rtty with model 14 gear and was in heaven. Went to model 19, 28,

33 and 35 stuff and used a lot of oil and much paper and tape. What an era!

At one time, I had 20 or so ASR 33s.

j/b

Reply to
justme