Testing bobcat attachments

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

I thought that perhaps I could use my forklift and the "third valve", by making some kind of an adaptor for those bobcat quick disconnects.

My forklift has three valves, out of which only two are used (lift and tilt) and the third one is not used. It was supposed to be for the side shift, which broke a long time ago.

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

Thanks

Ignoramus4275

Certainly doable. I've collected a pile of surplus hoses and couplings over the years. That's my first stop. Second, I head to the local Farm and Fleet store. Or, you can go to the local dealer and leave with a real warm feeling and an empty wallet.

In your case, I doubt the lift as quick disconnect. If you're doing this often,add them. Otherwise just plumb in a couple long hoses. IIRC, the Bobcat connects are like $12 each, not that bad.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm not a hyd eng (but I play on on the internet), but I'd suggest flushing those attachments prior to accepting return fluid into your forklift hydraulic system from them, just in case they're full of slivers from an exploded pump. You don't know where they've been, so practice safe pumping.

I wanna see pics of this Steampunk Forklift when you're done! (Recommend keeping an excavator and auger for yourself.)

Go to your local NAPA store. They were the cheapest, best place around for power steering pump hosemaking I found while working as a mechanic. Figure maybe $200, plus the valving from Surplus Center.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I second the recommendation of being careful of return fluid. Pump the first gallon or so into a clean white bucket for examination before hooking up the return line (this will require an extra quick connect to open the return line's check valve). Place a good hydraulic return line filter on the return line in the forklift. Don't forget to add make up oil to the forklift's tank to replace what is lost on each test. You will not have the flow volume to test anything at normal operating speeds, but you will probably be ok on pressure. It might be easier if you just scrounged a stationary electric (AC) hydraulic power pack so you don't tie up the forklift while testing.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Practice safe pumping". Would that be fluid filter, or condumb?

Nothing like trusting your life to a thin piece of rubber.

.

I'm not a hyd eng (but I play on on the internet), but I'd suggest flushing those attachments prior to accepting return fluid into your forklift hydraulic system from them, just in case they're full of slivers from an exploded pump. You don't know where they've been, so practice safe pumping.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Condom" a.k.a. a clean 5 gal bucket to dump the first gallon of suspect fluid into.

Reply to
Pete C.

I second the stationary pump idea...

--one where pressure can be adjusted would probably be best.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Unlike custom hoses I'ved found the prices for hydraulic fittings in local stores reasonable.

Tractor Supply carries quick disconnects.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Might be easier and simpler to just rent one for half a day. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

OR you just wait a week and one will turn up at a reasonable price!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Real men use 5 gal buckets!

Christ>

"Condom" a.k.a. a clean 5 gal bucket to dump the first gallon of suspect fluid into.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In Ig's case probably one "Bobcat, doesn't run, $125, U-haul" and it'll be within ten minutes of him. Lucky suckah.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It is rare, but it happens.

Reply to